Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bulbinga and Wenge Care

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by vlad335, Jun 13, 2003.

1. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    I just got a Warwick Corvette (Used) and the wood
    appears to be dried out. I bought it mail order and couldn't tell from the pics. I just ordered some Warwick Wax from a dealer on Ebay and I probally wont get it till the end of
    next week.

What can I use in the meantime till the wax comes in? I'm worried that
    something bad is going to happen if I don't put something on this wood NOW!
    I thought about using mineral oil or Scotts Liquid Gold both of which I have
    here. I don't want to mess anything up though

Please Advise.

Dave

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'd email or call Dana B. Goods and ask. They've been known to be very helpful in the past.

3. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Thanks,

Just Emailed them. They probally will not answer till Monday though.

What about the mineral oil? Could it hurt?

4. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I've never heard of mineral oil on wood.

I'd hold off until DBG answers, or you get a reply from the luthiers here. A few days won't do anything that the last several months or years haven't already done, unless you live in a very dry climate, and it just came from a humid one. In which case, you might consider leaving it in the case until you get some advice, if you're really worried.

5. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    As to the mineral oil hurting, along with any possible damage (I don't know), it's possible that it might prevent you from applying a proper oil or wax finish after.

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    People use mineral oil as a food-safe finish on wood. It's also the oil base for baby oil. Mineral oil is kind of thick and slow-drying. People generally use tung-oil varnish (not pure tung oil) or boiled linseed.

In any case, I don't think you need to worry about anything happening immediately. On top of that, the wax really doesn't resolve any drying-out issues. Oil is the solution to dried out wood. Dana B Goods should tell you want kind of oil to use.

The wax will keep the oil out better than vice versa, so oil before you wax.

7. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
  8. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Well I just got a reply...

"Don't do anything to it till you get the wax. Just keep it out of sunlight & dry areas."

I don't get it. How is the wax alone gonna add moisture to this bass? Maybe their wax feeds the wood as well...

OK. I will do as I am told. This is the nicest instrument (despite its current condition) that I have ever owned.