1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bulding a light weighted warmoth bass, but which neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by onZ, Nov 16, 2004.

1. onZ

onZ

Apr 15, 2004
    Holland, The Hague
    In the near future I like to build a 4-string J-Warmoth bass. I want it to be very light weighted (because of back problems). I was thinking of a hollow alder body. I'm wanting to use Hipshot ultralight tuners to prevent neck dive. The only thing I can't figure out is whether or not to use a Warmoth neck (alltough I've been reading all kinds of topics here). I know they are heavy because of the steel reinforcements. Should I go for an Allparts neck? I can't find out what they are reinforced with, and how much weight difference there is between them. (I want a maple neck with white block inlay and binding.) Any help would be appreciated.
    Onno

2. If weight supercedes overall inherent stability, then go for the Allparts. It's not a negative endorsement, as the necks they provide are great quality, and more geared towards a vintage build/ vibe. BUT, they are kinda pricey, options are limited, and run the potential of maladies that effect alot of Fender style necks eventually.

Warmoth is by no means a cure-all, but I like them better.

Alot of people also really like their USA customs necks (if the peghead shape isn't important to you...attractive in their own right...)

3. Why don't you get a neck and modify the headstock with a string retainer and then use a tuner/bridge like on a Kubicki or a Steinberger??? That would solve your neck dive problems and would probably be a whole lot lighter than any classic headstock/tuner arrangement.

4. onZ

onZ

Apr 15, 2004
    Holland, The Hague
    Moses sells a graphite headless neck. It will not fit a jazz bass body. I could be cool, a headless Jazz bass clone. And how can I place the tuners on the body anyway?