Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bulding a light weighted warmoth bass, but which neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by onZ, Nov 16, 2004.

1. onZ

onZ

Apr 15, 2004
    Holland, The Hague
    In the near future I like to build a 4-string J-Warmoth bass. I want it to be very light weighted (because of back problems). I was thinking of a hollow alder body. I'm wanting to use Hipshot ultralight tuners to prevent neck dive. The only thing I can't figure out is whether or not to use a Warmoth neck (alltough I've been reading all kinds of topics here). I know they are heavy because of the steel reinforcements. Should I go for an Allparts neck? I can't find out what they are reinforced with, and how much weight difference there is between them. (I want a maple neck with white block inlay and binding.) Any help would be appreciated.
    Onno

2. If weight supercedes overall inherent stability, then go for the Allparts. It's not a negative endorsement, as the necks they provide are great quality, and more geared towards a vintage build/ vibe. BUT, they are kinda pricey, options are limited, and run the potential of maladies that effect alot of Fender style necks eventually.

Warmoth is by no means a cure-all, but I like them better.

Alot of people also really like their USA customs necks (if the peghead shape isn't important to you...attractive in their own right...)

3. Why don't you get a neck and modify the headstock with a string retainer and then use a tuner/bridge like on a Kubicki or a Steinberger??? That would solve your neck dive problems and would probably be a whole lot lighter than any classic headstock/tuner arrangement.

4. onZ

onZ

Apr 15, 2004
    Holland, The Hague
    Moses sells a graphite headless neck. It will not fit a jazz bass body. I could be cool, a headless Jazz bass clone. And how can I place the tuners on the body anyway?