1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bulgarian Carved Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rodell, Apr 19, 2006.

1. I have been educated in the construction of basses enough to have been convinced that a fully carved bass produces a better sound than a laminated one. A fully carved bass for $2,050 seems like an incredible deal and I have seen the Bulgarian basses advertised in a couple of places for that price. I would like to have some input concerning the quality of sound these instruments produce and the quality of construction.

2. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    You can also find some fully carved Chinese basses for the same amount of money.

I don't have any links to give you, but a local luthier in Reading, PA is selling them for that and Sam Ash's house brand (Carlos Robelli) carved basses are about $1800.

IMO, try before you buy and don't rule out a good quality hybrid model which should run about $2000, give or take a few hundred $,

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
  4. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    hmmm, it worked earlier, i wonder if they time out or something.

anyways, search the bass forum for "gollihur" or "bulgarian" and look through them.

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Beware of Carlos Rubelli basses. One of my students has one and it has been nothing but trouble. Plus Sam Ash doesn't have a luthier on site so repairs take weeks. Look into Shen or Christopher if you are interested in Chinese basses and buy from a shop that specializes in strings.

6. :) ok, thanks for the help guys

7. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I have a Shen Willow 3/4. I LOVE it.

8. My carved bass made by Kremona Bulgaria, LTD. is now a year old. It is very well constructed and has a very pleasing tone throughout the range. It has presented no flaws or weaknesses in construction even though I have dragged it to several rehearsals a week. It is playing in nicely and the sound continues to open up. I have the larger 5-string model and I really like this bass. The hardware is good quality, the fit and finish inside and out is well executed and the sound is quite rich. I have no complaints about this bass whatsoever. For the price, it would be tough to beat in the fully carved category.

I got mine from Bob Gollihur. It will be a good idea if you get one of these to have a pro setup done on it. They are playable the way they arrive, but if you want them to play and sound really good, a professional setup is highly recommended.