Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bullies, karma, justice... I'm just happy.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    when I was in the 3rd grade I used to fill clorox containers with water and do every exercise imaginable with them to grow muscles. did similar activities throughout my grammer school years with cement, coffee cans and broom sticks. bought gloves and boxed with my brothers to try and learn to fight. fantasized about onwing a gun. thought about doing really bad things with knives. lulled myself to sleep many nights fantasizing about tying guys up so I could torture them until they died; by throwing darts at them till all life dripped out of them, or just simply punching them till they were pulverized into complete mush. yes, I had a fairly miserable go of things in my grammer school years and most of them had to do with one complete moron who I had to spend those years with - who was also one of the 2 toughest kids in our grade. he is the ONLY person in my adult life that I would feel totally justified coldcocking out of the blue for no reason whatsoever other than to avenge the child in me that was knocked into one too many walls in front of one too many crowds of laughing classmates.

a current co-worker of mine is good friends with this guy's wife (someone I also went to grade school with) and a couple of years ago the report on the guy was that he had gotten into some trouble throughout his life, but he was basically doing well, and owned a couple of businesses. BAH!
    till yesterday... :D :hyper: :smug: :D

the new report is that he got busted for some kinda fairly big lowlife crime, he's doing a year and a half hard time in jail, and his lifelong girlfriend/wife just decided to finally leave him for good.

I'm playing at NAMM next week. :D

2. I'm glad you feel better. I know what it's like be bullied in school. I had it for a large part of my school life. But I don't think it's right to take pleasure in other peoples misfortune - even if they bring it upon themselves. People do things for a reason, even bullying. Maybe this kid was constantly getting beaten by his old man during his school years and didn't know any better? Maybe he was jealous of you? Nothing justifies the way he acted towards you, but who knows what he was going through? I personally believe that the only way to deal with past events like this is to forgive and move on. You've been harbouring a grudge against this guy for years, and he probably hasn't thought twice about you. I don't think it's worth the mental and emotional energy to hate someone for something they did in the past. That energy is better used elsewhere :) Just MHO of course.

Congrats about playing at NAMM!! That will be sweet.

3. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Nice. I can think of one guy I went to grade school with who inspired similar feelings at the time (fear, anger, humiliation). I haven't seen him in 30 years, have no idea where he is or what he's doing, but I've occasionally fantasized about meeting up with him randomly and just pounding the **** out of him to avenge my younger, meeker self. I'd never do it, and they're just occasional, idle thoughts, but they always make me smile.

Karma can be a bitch. Your buddy may meet some people in prison who look at him the same way he probably looked at you. Oh, and congrats on playing at NAMM. That's very cool.

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    As in, like the way he looks....? :eek:

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This makes me nervous. I was a bully in school. :eek:

-Mike

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    School bullies deserve everything they get. Yes, yes, they may have had rough lives that made them act out on other people. Etc. etc. I did befriend a few kids that bullied me in grammar school, but some kids were just douches and I relish seeing them bagging my groceries and getting sent to prison. Puerile? Maybe, but I DIDN'T DO A ******* THING TO THEM!

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I ran into the school bully after I had grown up, only I had actually taken him on once he got me so mad, it was broken up but he didn't mess w/ me much after that. Back to when we grew up, I had gotten out of the military, had been fighting full contact for several years and had gotten a lot bigger, though I'm not very big. He had done all his growing back then so he was smaller and somehow turned into a real wimp. I just said hello, he acted nervous, I smiled turned my back and walk away. I knew what I could do, it was not necessay to prove it.

Joe, If it's therapeudic for you, feel free to feel good.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I hope he has fun in jail.

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    It's generally not my nature to smile upon others misfortunes. I also do my best to not hang on to the past - and I'm not up at night thinking about this guy anymore, but I can't help but to smile just a bit on the inside knowing that he is now more than likely getting twice the share of what he dished out to me when we were kids. I was seriously up many nights trying to figure what I could do to get this guy back, and it just seems now that the universe was siding with me since back then.

Might as well drop an anecdote and leave it here to rest now:

One time, think it was the 5th grade, we were in our school auditorium and my whole class was lined up on stage along the front of the curtain. The teacher had to step out for a second and asked the bully to please count how many students were there. One by one he walked down the line tapping people as he counted them, and when he got to me he slammed me in my chest and knocked me flying behind the curtain. The laughs of everyone else hurt more than the physical pain of it - and I remember how clearly powerless I was in the dark behind the curtain. I weighed 70lbs and wasn't a fighter, he weighed 170 and fought all the time. I wasn't old enough to figure anything to do except either kill him, or act as if I were laughing it off.

Ya know what - screw him. I'm happy about this. God's still workin on me, I'm not at the perfect point yet.

10. Rest happy, people who are hard on the outside generally don't fare to well on the inside ;). He may have to toss a salad or two if you know what I mean.

11. I hope nobody was eating whilst reading this thread :eek: :eek:

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    sucks that you were tormented as a kid, joe. :(

and, well, now it sucks to be that bully of yours. :p :hyper:

13. aaaah school years, those are the years i don't remember as happy, bullies were different in my case, they acted as a group(my whole class) and they never made big physical damage to me, everything was more in the psicological kind, they made me feel like crap every day in 4 years, i also was having lots of troubles in my house back then, so i was very much a totally collapsed person with no strenght to do something about my problems in school....

funny thing is that i didn't fell into the drug alcohol thing, like everyone else was doing, and i have been totally clean from then to now, wich is something i truly thanks myself, because the act of being sober i think, is the thing that made me confront my troubles in an always analitical way without falling into: ahh my life is the worst life ever, and so on....
    also, with practice, i've learned to say no, and to stablish my limits as a person, and also i had to learn how to become a very adaptable-social person.
    even to be more disciplinate with my music studies.
    i've learned to not do prejudges, and well like someone said: what doesn't kill you make you stronger.

and if you do resilience with it, better then....
    it help arts!

conclusion: i feel the person i am today, needed all that process to become this person who maybe in the future is going to help people in someway(ah my english collapsed here!), because i met the low side of things at an early stage but i think i have gotten better because i always tried to get the best of what happened and see what i learned.
    today, as a life goal, i just want to be better person every day.
    (ah big redaction mess, but you understand the idea)

i even have a good friend who happened to be one of the guys i hated the most.

and beware with the karma thing, if you laugh too much, karma might hear you. :ninja:

ELD.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Joe, congrats on the NAMM thing, I hope to see you there (I'll be floating around the Aguilar, Bartolini, or Demeter booths, shilling for Roscoe).

On the karma/bully thing, well, I feel ya. I had a slightly different variation on being a target: I was the BIGGEST kid in school, and I was "different" (a non-Catholic in a Roman Catholic school). Everyone came at me to test me because I had a good 4-5 inches on almost every other kid - however, I was the biggest teddy bear in the universe, just loved everyone and wanted to get along with them. There were other things going on that I won't get into that added "fuel to the fire" (I had some issues physically that made me an easy target as well). Add to that my opinion that Roman Catholic children are the NASTIEST kids in the universe, and you might imagine how my years in that school were.

Y'know what, I don't know ONE of those people now, and I don't care to. I could care less what or how they are doing. They aren't worth one moment of my time or energy. I'm living a wonderful life now, and as they say, living well is the best revenge.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Most bullies are complete knuckle dragging morons. There was only one kid I ever "bullied" that I can remember... and we were college aged!! But we were friends with him too!! He would hang out with us, and we "bullied him" just because we wanted him to bully back.

I threw a pear at him while he was being held down by my friend Jared from about 100 ft away only to watch it explode all over his head. After a couple of weeks of bullying and hanging out to balance this out, he finally got to the point where he ninja kicked me in the back of the head and on a seperate occasion, dumped some mountain dew on my head.

16. gamera

gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    [​IMG]

Joe, according to this photo I think you are doing alright.

17. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

until the fall of 1965, I lived in a small town and we were the only non-(denomination deleted). I was punched,kicked or beaten almost every day for not being of the same religion. I am sure that at some point, I perpetuated the behavior. My parents taught us not to fight, later they added to a point.

The summer of 1965 I worked on a farm with a few of the bullies. I made some weak frienships, but friendships just the same. I also built some muscle mass. The desiscion was made by me that the first person to hand me any grief the first day of school was going to get pounded. I also told my parents that enough was enough. It was 6th grade, in a new building with mostly new teachers and many new students. Some poor dorknob new guy named Billy (his dad worked for S&H or Goldbond stamps) tried to rip the gant off of my "bleeder shirt". I had just started being accepted as a "Baldy" (gosh, we were idiots).He was propmtly kneed in the nuts, when he doubled over I bashed his face into my knee a couple of times and then I raicked his face agasinst the decorative rough brick wall. He was by the way much bigger than I was. He fell into a heap and I kicked him a bunch. He was hauled off to the Dr., I went to the office. A ton of pent up rage poured out of me right then.
    Very few people meesed with me that year. This all happened in an influential suberb, darned rich kids, (I wasn't)

I am sorry for my actions and apologize to Billy, wherever you are.

Thanks for Listening,
    Wesley R.

18. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Hey Joe, this bully guy, the guy that picked on you, how does his wife look? You know what I mean? Hint hint.:D

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    This is totally Mafia talk. :D

20. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    I'm lovin this post! My oldest son (11 yrs old) is short, has a Speech and Language Disorder and goes to public school. The kid walks around with a target on his head. Anyway, he comes up to me after school and says the biggest kid in the grade is starting to give him a hard time. As my son is pissed off (and has a Black Belt in Taekwondo) I called the bully's parent directly. After some attitude from the bully's mom she says "I think your son is just scared of him". "Listen (I explained his TKD Belt) he's not scared of your kid...he's mad at him...Sean will defend himself if it comes to that and I don't want it to go there. I don't want anybody to get hurt. Tell your boy to leave mine alone." She said "wow...ok..." and asked me about the TKD classes and we shot the breeze for a while...nice lady, dad travels a lot. I am proud that he came to me and didn't fight in school.