Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bummed. My 'music' isn't following my heart.... jazz.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Since I was 18 (I'm 36 now) I've loved playing the bass. Dearly. Around the same time that I fell in love with the bass, I also fell for a style of music that doesn't exactly win any popularity contests, but I love it with all my heart and soul regardless.

It's contemporary jazz (Spyro Gyra, Rippingtons, Yellowjackets, Oceans, Backstreet, Mezzoforte, Dave Koz, Richard Elliot, Neil Larsen, etc. etc.).

Everytime I listen to one of my contemporary jazz cd's, I die a little bit inside because I play in a classic & modern & alternative rock / funk band. I have a blast playing bass and keyboards, having all the major clubs begging for us, compliments from the audience, steady bookings, and the money... but it isn't where my heart tells me to go. :meh:

Part of the equation is the city I live in (Spokane) is behind the times with culture, and with a population of only around 400,000 there isn't much of a market for contemporary jazz. :mad:

I'm wondering if I should give my band a deadline and try the jazz scene here, or just try to migrate to another locale. The wife and I would much rather live in Portland, Seattle, LA or San Diego anyway (jazz, even contemporary, does well in these cities).

(((sigh)))

quote (unknown):

"Find something you would die for, then live for it."

Hmmm... that would be, my son, my wife, and my music. :)

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    tough call! but follow your heart :bassist:

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    See if you can find/ start a jazz band on the side and see how it works out. I think moving wouldn't be a bad idea if you and the Mrs. are fine with it. I say do what your heart tells you but it's sometimes easier said than done when ole' Mr. wallet buts his damn nose in the picture!

4. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I live in Kitsap County, relatively close to Seattle and I play primarily in an original jazz fusion group. Getting gigs for this type of music is hard even over here but I'm sure it is much easier than in Spokane. Follow your heart and play the music that makes you happy. You might have to start your own side project to make this a reality. In the mean time have fun playing the stuff you are playing. Good Luck.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

u only live one life! MOVE! start/join a jazz band.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They're still stuck on Nu-metal over there, too?

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Before quitting your band, try to do the jazz thing on the side. Having a regular live gig does more for your chops than a lot of rehearsing in a studio.

Maybe you can get a bunch of like minded players together and have a weekend cafe thing going. Good luck.

8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    See what's available locally. You never know who may be interested in your kind of thing. My rule of thumb is not to quit a working band, unless it's for another working band. Something about gigging is essential for me to keep my chops up, regardless of the style of music.

Since you play keyboards and bass, it'll be easier for you to do a demo or album. Get a drum machine, and get some type of lead player like a sax, trumpet, etc to do what you can't. Once you have something tangible, you'll find that it's easier to find people who are into what you are doing, or interested in learning about what you are doing.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

This is probably your best bet.

Other than that, use your jazz to influence in creating originals (does your band compose originals?) because jazz+rock+funk = :cool: . That's exactly the kind of music I want to make.

10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Mad props to you for even admitting you like contemporary jazz. Not a popular genre for many. For instance, Dave Koz makes me want to break things and hurt small animals.

How about dabbling in the jazz scene while keeping your current gig? Better to test the waters before you quit your reliable and enjoyable gig.

11. I like contemporary jazz too. Especially when I'm in traffic. It helps take out the road rage. Just follow your heart man, play what makes you happy.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Moving sounds good. If you and your wife are both into it.

13. Wow - thanks for the advice. :)

As far as a side project playing jazz (in addition to the band I'm in now) that's a good idea, but it would be impossible... Between working 40 - 50 hours per week, playing in my current band 3 wkends per month, being a husband, father, and homeowner - no way could I add another band to my routine.

My current band may fizzle and die after December, that's one possibility and there's always the chance that we will move.

I should be happy with what I have, and when the time is right to play jazz, it will come together.