Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bummer! No Fender 9050M flats for a fiver?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Aug 20, 2004.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just picked up a cheap five string (my first), and started looking for strings. I prefer flats, and 9050Ms are my string of choice.

I never noticed before, but Fender doesn't show any five string sets for the 9050s! I couldn't find any single strings listed, either.

So, I'm looking for ideas for what to use instead of 9050Ms on this bass. I like the 9050M tone, feel (high tension) and slickness. I don't want TI-type looseness, and sticky flats drive me nuts.

Suggestions? Or are 9050s available in heavier gauge singles, and I’m just not finding them?

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Normally I would suggest TI's but your requirement for a higher tension flat would lead me to suggest Lakland Joe Osbornes. Not the highest tension but higher than TI's and Chromes. Nice sounding after the initial break-in period. I used them on my precision. Labella makes a high-tension flat. I haven't used them but they seem to have a decent reputation. Enjoy the OLP.

Dan

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hmmm, Laklands - I never would have thought of those. Thanks for the tip!

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    They are reasonably priced as well. You can order them direct from Lakland. The guys in the band loved what they did for the precision - thump and growl.

Dan