Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bummer - Ordered wrong Strings at MF.com...No Returns!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jkritchey, Nov 27, 2004.

1. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Uggh. I just got off the phone with Musicians Friend. They will not take a return on the set of strings I ordered. I ordered D'Addario ECB81-5 flats for Long Scale, but they will not fit on my 35" MTD Heir. Apparently I need Super Long.

Sadly they have a 'no execptions' policy on strings so I ate $40.00. Somewhat understandable, but annoying.

To double the pain, I broke an old string getting it back on.

2. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    That's what happens when you deal with someone as big as MF. Had you gone to someone smaller, you probably wouldn't be SOOL. I've taken returns for the exact same reason. No problem.

I've found that D'Addario Longs don't work on 35" basses. The E strings (on the XL's at least) come up a bit short, just FYI.

Tom

3. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Agreed, should have avoided MF, but couldn't find them anywhere but mail order. I've re-ordered from a Talkbass sponsor and hope to be back in the running in 4-5 days....

Hoping to educate others by posting. I'm a little disappointed that D'Addario chooses to label 34' scale as "long" in this day and age...

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this is why you need to order from gard!

:D

5. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Did you actually mark a string that you knew fit, and then measure it according to the instructions on their website, or did you just look at the "34-36" length? If you did, indeed, measure it according to their website, then I would be contacting D'Addario, not Musician's Friend since they misrepresented their product.

I certainly don't fault MF for not taking back used strings. If you bought the wrong sized underwear, Target wouldn't take them back, either. Some things just shouldn't be returned used....

And, in this day, and age, "long scale" is still "long scale." Why would "long scale" suddenly mean something besides 34"? Just curious...

7. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    No, I didn't, I cheated. It just seemed so clear. My bass is not strung through the body. My fault, no doubt. Swung on, and missed a third strike.

Perhaps I live to much in the MTD world, but I don't think of 34" as long, other than, it's not Short.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--you said it better than I could have. ;)

Nowhere does it say on that page that it's for 34"-36" scale lengths. It simply states the distance between the nut and the end of the ball end of the string.

I also noticed on the string product pages at Musician's Friend this:

Seems pretty cut 'n dry to me.

I'm sorry you took a hit on the strings, and I would take O_spears up on his offer to take them (half price, maybe?).

But, it doesn't appear, to me, anyway, that D'Addario, or Musician's Friend did/said/implied anything that was a big secret.

9. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    No you're right. Not a secret. Perhaps a little too easy to make a mistake on. And I can certainly understand the MF position.

I'm hoping others can learn from my erroneous shortcuts.

10. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Wow, just got an e mail from D'Addario Customer service offering an exchange. I'll gladly take them up on it, and admit my mistake to them. I'll let you know how it works out.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this is not the first time i have heard about this from D'Addario

congrats!

:)

12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I can second that this is the rule, and not the exception for D'addario Customer Service. I'd like to buy that company a beer. ;)

13. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Just to put a nice holiday bow on this thread, I received a new set of the correct size strings from Matt in customer service at D'Addario. I am extremely pleased with the level of service I received from them, especially since I bought the strings from Musicians Friend and not directly from D'Addario. So major props for the outstanding service! Customer for life!

On a related note: I had purchased another set of the correct-for -me-sized strings from http://www.bassemporium.com and have been using them for the past three weeks. I have loved them so much that I bought another set for a colleague at work who dabbles with a four stringer. The thing I like about them is the feel on both the fretting hand my stringing hand. Also, little less noisy, and thump nicely.

Thank you Matt and thank you D'Addario!