Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bummer...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Oct 9, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My new cheap bass came today - a MusicYo Steinberger XZ-2. However, there's something wrong with the neck heel or pocket - I can't get a low enough action without shimming the neck, which I'm not willing to do on a brand-new instrument regardless of price. And that’s with the saddles dropped all the way down, which screws up the break angle.

I have to say this is the first bad bass or guitar I've seen come out of MusicYo. I've taken delivery of eight or nine for myself and others in the last few years, and they've all been great. The finish on this one was perfect. Oh, well...

I did play it for an hour before I boxed it back up, and it was sweet! The pickups actually work pretty well in this one – I have EMG Selects in my XT-2s and I’m not overly impressed. But in this swamp ash body, they work well!

The replacement is coming soon. I hate waiting. Grrr.

2. That is a bummer, Heavy. It does stink having to ship something back, and then wait - AGAIN! :( :mad:

Mike J.

3. WHAT, the ric, fender and music man just dont do it for you anymore??? how do you get away with it heavy???? tell me your secret damn it!!!!!!!!!!!

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Oh, they do it just fine for me, but since I don't gig I'm kinda protective of them. I would be just sick if my Sterling were damaged by a drunk.

I'm at the point where I'm replacing some of my less expensive stuff - this new Steinie will take the place of my older Spirit XT-2 as a travel and take-out bass.

There's a local bar that has a regular blues jam that I'd like to break into, and I really didn't want a MIM Fender for that. The XZ-2 has the chance of offering me a nice, thick humbucker sound for not a lot of bucks - and I'd like to try my hand at refinishing it in a wax or oil & wax finish.

Besides - he/she who dies/reincarnates with the most toys wins!

5. hey, dont forget to let me know when/where your playing out, ill be there.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, the replacement arrived today - nice! The finish is very well done, and it's going to be a bit of a shame to strip it - but i really want a waxed finish. The new pickups came earlier this week (a set of passive Duncans), but the whole project is on hold until after the move.

Playability is very nice, and this one has nicer wood than the first. A great deal for a cheap bass!