1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bump at the high end of the neck - Fender Jazz Bass Plus V

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Jan 10, 2012.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I bought a (modified) Fender Jazz Bass Plus V a last spring. The action was pretty high and as I tried to set it up to my taste, I found out the truss rod nut was broken. Truss rod was ok though. With a new nut in place I managed to (gradually) set the relief to spec and the wood has now had some months to "set".
    Problem is there still remains a bump at the top frets, especially for the B and E strings. (Let's say the highest 5-7 frets.) Not that I play that high up on the neck for B and E but it forces me to raise the action an extra 1.5 - 2 mm higher on the B string.

Is there a chance to repair the neck? I am also worried that any repair might affect the great tone of the instrument...
    As far as I know, this model has no Posiflex rods. It is maple neck / palisander fretboard and has a skunk stripe.
    Tone and sustain is top notch and the neck has only one very minor dead-ish spot at G string seventh fret. (I am really sensitive to that.) The whole bass is easily on par with the current American Deluxe Jazz Bass V for a fraction of the cost.

Any advice is welcome!

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    it sounds like you still have too much relief in the neck.

3. conqr

conqr

Feb 16, 2009
    If by 'bump' you mean the 'ski jump', ie the fretboard is higher at the bridge end of the neck pocket than the neck end, then adjusting the truss will not help - that part of the neck is beyond truss affected range.

Based on what I've read here at TB:

1. Very expensive repair to remove fretboard and replane neck or
    2. Less expensive - file down upper frets to help compensate for the jump or
    3. Try a shim at the neck end of the pocket to level the jump, then set up again or
    3. Get a new neck or
    4. Live with higher action

4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Thanks guys, especially the detailed reply from conqr!

For two reasons I do not think this is just a relief issue:
    -It is in the part of the neck that is in the neck pocket.
    -It is clearly more pronounced in the E and B side of the neck.

It also does not seem like a 100% "ski jump" issue. It is more of a elevated "plateau" over the part of the neck that sits in the neck pocket.

By the way, this bass also sports "micro tilt" but my adjustment of it helped only marginally.

I guess option number 2 is the right one for me for the time being.

5. conqr

conqr

Feb 16, 2009
    glad to help, hope it works out, those are sweet basses.

6. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Site up & down he neck it may have a little warp ?