1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bump etiquette

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by bassteban, Mar 14, 2008.

1. I don't know if everyone here is aware(or cares)that when you bump a thread to the top, you simutaneously knock someone else off the page. Even when I am very keen to move an item for sale or get an answer to a question, I try to limit my bumps to once every 24 hours, & remove all the old ones. In fact, a mod asked me to do the cleanup.
    Your thoughts?

2. One bump a day is considerate, and keeps your thread near the top... ish...

Two bumps a day for gear that you really, really need to sell now, to pay bills or whatever (not to feed GAS).

Three bumps a day = bad form, old chum.

3. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Just to make sure you're aware, once per 24 hours is written into the classifieds forum rules :)

4. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I think cleanups are written into the rules, as well. Even if they are not, it is good etiquette to do so...nobody wants to weed through 2 pages of bumps

5. I just knew it was a good idea! :)

6. 3rdBass

3rdBass Funk in A Supporting Member

"Bumping For Sale threads is allowed; however, delete all prior bumps when you add a new bump! Please also limit your bumps to one every 24 hours (if you list multiple items, please only bump one item per 24 hours)."

Could someone please elaborate on this ? The way I read it, if you have multiple listings, you may only bump ONE every 24 hours?
    I ask because I've noticed a particular member with 20 for sale threads that bumps each one daily. Some of these threads are months old and the items haven't sold, maybe it would be considerate etiquette to consolidate them ?

7. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    That's correct - please report this by clicking the 'report post' button on one of the offending posts. This rule was written so that members with 20 ads don't 'own' the whole first page with 20 bumps a day :)

8. 3rdBass

3rdBass Funk in A Supporting Member

Done, thanks Paul. Took me a minute to find the button.

9. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    FWIW, I like it when I can see all previous bumps. It lets me know how often the seller checks the thread (and therefore is a sign of how on-top of things he is) and can be an indication of how eager he is to sell. If the bumps are 5 days apart, I know he's not that eager and/or doesn't check Talkbass much. If the bumps are exactly 24 hours apart, or timed to be when the most people are surfing the classifieds... this is useful info for me, as a buyer. I'm not advocating breaking the rules or not reporting it when someone does, just sayin'.

10. K.Ross

K.Ross

May 19, 2008
    I'm A "NUBE" at selling...How do you "clean-up" an item yuo sell? Also, I apologize for putting another ad in in such a short time...(I did't realize what that meant.)
    Thanks for the patience.
    Kent:bag:

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Unfortunately you have to jump through a few hoops to delete a post:

If you go to your post there is an "Edit" button in the lower right. Click that, and the edit window opens up. Then in the lower right of that window there is a "delete" button. Click it, and another little control panel opens up at the bottom of the edit window. on the left there is a "radio button" next to the phrase "delete this post", so click that, and then another delete button activates on the lower right, and you click that.

Easy! :rolleyes: /sarcasm

12. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I try to add some info, like pictures, sound clips or a price drop if I'm bumping my own FS thread. And once every 24 hours is still excessive IMHO. When a dude bumps his own thread too often it's a nuisance - makes me less inclined to buy, not more.

Can't be casting all the time - leave that fly in the water for a while, see what happens. ;)