1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bumped by the Tigers

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by malthumb, Oct 20, 2013.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Our gig last night got called off because the venue was concerned that patrons would be more focused on watching the Tigers / Red Sox on the big screens.

Apparently that's what happened with the band they had in last weekend, so they figured they'd head it off yesterday by calling us around 4:00. The game was originally schedule for 4:30, but since St. Louis had already wrapped up the NL, the ALCS game was moved to an 8:00 start.

So not only did we not play and had to call / Facebook all our followers, the Tigers dropped a turd and got sent home packin' by the Sox.

At least they committed to giving us preferential treatment on the reschedule.

2. How many days advance notice did they give you - or did they still pay you too?

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The time change on the baseball game happened that day.....maybe the night before. Detroit / Boston G6 was s'posed to be the 4:30 game, Dodgers / Cardinals G7 was s'posed to be the 8:00. But since the Cardinals took out the Dodgers in G6 on Friday, the Tigers / Red Sox got moved to the 8:00 time.

So, "days advance notice" was not possible...."hours advance notice" is what we got. We're not bent out of shape about it. Just negotiating the re-schedule. We prefer to not have to compete with the big screens, anyway. Photo below is from a prior gig there several months ago.....taken during sound check. There are three or four other screens around the place. They typically turn the screens off when we start playing, but sometimes we get pushback on big events, like Michigan or Michigan State football or Red Wings playoff games. Game 6 would definitely have been a TV-on moment.

StrollerGoatatLakeview.

4. Only hours - and did they pay you?

Also since they didn't already simultaneously offer you another date - what does this really mean?

5. PS: what's happening behind you guys in the pic - what are you two looking at? Cute singer too.

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Seriously......it's not that serious. This is a good venue. They love us there and if we don't schedule a date with them they're calling to see if we're mad at them or something. We bring a good crowd and their regulars love us and always ask when we're coming back. We're good with the re-scheduling that's going on.

7. Oh okay - never mind then. PS: Good game too, I just wish the Dodgers would have won. ;)

8. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    We we're playing a gig a year ago when the Tigers were playing the Yankees in the playoffs. As Valverde was blowing the save, everybody in the bar was watching the TVs. We continued to play, but our singer was ad-libbing some foul-mouthed lyrics about the pitcher. Nobody noticed but me.

Just curious, where's your band playing in the pic?

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Lakeview Bar & Grill
    43393 W. 13 Mile Rd, Novi

10. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'm probably talking to the drummer. Berto is probably looking at his tuner. Leah says "aaaawww"

11. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Cancel the day of the gig? Oh yeah, nothing I like better than collecting a pay check for watching TV at home. Uh, you did get paid, right?

12. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    We have had that happen to us as well. And, with that singer, I wouldnt be watching some overpaid cry baby millionaires swinging at a ball! =)

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    First off, I'm REALLY glad the Sox won the game. Just getting that out of the way.

When playing sports bars it is what it is. I have been canceled. I have also played only one set after a game was over. In the case of the playoffs, the bar has no way of knowing whether it will go to 4 or 7 games (or anywhere in between). In this particular case the time of the game wasn't determined until late the night before. Sure, I'm all about getting paid. But this time I think the OP should work with the bar. Forcing payment to make a point (especially in a city where the economy is awful and gigs are probably not that common to begin with) may just cause you to lose a regular gig.

14. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    The time to settle these issues is BEFORE they happen ... with a contract. Once you set the precedent there's no turning back. We ALWAYS have a late cancellation clause (usually just percentage of the full charge, since we don't have to do any work or have to travel). If we actually show up at the venue and they cancel we get paid the full boat. It's never been a problem.

15. Isn’t it you who also thinks nothing of canceling bar gigs too? For example, didn't you cancel a bar gig just so you could go see a ball game too or do I have you confused with someone else? If so, you two (you and the bar) would be a perfect match for each other - the flyers could say "maybe, but don‘t count on it". :D

16. +1. Yep

17. p-lo

p-lo

Jun 18, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've run into the same thing with the Cardinals in the playoffs over the years. If we were to ask the sports bar type places we play to sign a contract they would laugh at us and hire another band who doesn't require one.

18. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

We had to go on an hour and a half late because of the play offs a couple weeks ago. S*** happens.

19. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    we got in a lot of trouble at a bikini bar for watching jerome bettis run out the clock against the chicago bears and not paying enough attention to the ladies, so i guess this can happen, also don't play a show in LA on the same day as the super bowl, you wouldn't think so many hipster were into sports and not houston psych/noise rock, i had to photograph the show and make sure there were no crowd shots

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep. But here's the deal. It all depends on what kind of band we are talking about here (for the OP). I wouldn't put up with it these days if I ran a full-time band. But, in the past when I have been in side projects this has come up. Bar owners are not known for looking past the ends of their noses. Plus, with baseball playoffs, NOBODY KNOWS how many games it will take to win. (They play 3 out of 5 or 4 out of 7.) If someone wins it in less than 5 or 7 then the night is open for the band. If not, the club patrons are going to be pretty pissed if you try to belt out Brown Eyed Girl while Big Poppy is up to bat.

So, it seems as though the OP is in a casual band. It also seems (and maybe I'm reading too much into it) that this gig is a good regular gig for them. So, if it is a casual band, and a good club on a regular basis, then perhaps cooler heads should prevail. That's all I'm saying.

Why risk losing one of your better clubs over an honest mistake? Take the night off and watch the game.