Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bunch of problems...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Pastorius43, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Well latly I've been getting bored playing the same old stuff everyday. Same old lines, same old songs etc. I've also been trying to write some decent lines, and I can't seem to write one line i like:meh: Also, whenever i try learning a song i go through it fine and dandy untill the solo section, once I get there i can't seem to learn the solo or section after it...For instance, i was learning Continuum a few days ago, and I had it under my belt pretty well, but then i tried to learn the solo section and no matter how many times i went over it i couldnt get it. But when i tried Chromatic Fantasy i could play through most of it at almost the write speed after a few times of going over it, I thought that was weird...If this helps any I've been playing around 2 1/2 years. I'm not even sure what the question here is but any advice?:confused:

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If I may be blunt...

You have only been playing for a few years. You are trying to learn a solo by a master of the bass. It SHOULD be very difficult for you.

3. I never really thought of it that way. I guess since everything up till now I've been able to play fine kind of got to my head or something. But I thought i would at least be able to write a worth while line. I use to be able to write lines i liked..i don't know what happened:(

4. chasfr

chasfr

Jan 4, 2005
    Hey, give yourself a break. Take a couple of days off, listen to some different music than what you're playing all the time. Breathe. Relax. Get perspective.

Give yourself permission to make a thousand mistakes before you have to get it right. If that's not enough, allow yourself to make a thousand more.

Then come back and try again.

Just a thought...

Good luck!
    chas

5. "Give yourself permission to make a thousand mistakes before you have to get it right. If that's not enough, allow yourself to make a thousand more." That is posativly the best advice I've ever heard:D . Thanks a TON*hug* I kep pounding on myself for thinking I sould've gotten it the first couple times I dont know why...Thanks again man! :)