1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bunny Brunel's strap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JPrinos, Apr 16, 2009.

1. JPrinos

JPrinos

May 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Anyone notice this?

I just discovered Bunny Brunel's vids on Youtube and noticed that he slips the strap coming from the bottom of the bass over the front face of the bass like this:

120202692_13e5398b40.

I tried it and found that it tilts the bass so that it's easier to see the fretboard so you don't have to hunch over it. I tried it at my jam last night and have to say that it felt rather comfortable.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Looks uncomfortable. Is he resting his plucking hand on the strap?

I play my bass a lot lower than that. I can't really see the strings anyway.

3. JPrinos

JPrinos

May 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Not sure. I'll have to go look at the Youtube videos and check if he does that consistently. When I tried this last night, the strap seemed to stay in place without the need to hold it down.

4. erix

erix

Sep 24, 2005
    Washington DC
    I'll try it...

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    That strap position would really annoy me ... also I find his Carvin signature bass rather ugly.

6. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    I've had a problem with tmy bass altering position as I play. I start out with the neck at a higher angle, and after a few moments it slides down. I've tried adjusting the length of the strap, but it does the same thing. My guess is it's the lightweight body of the Ibanez.

I'll try this tonight and see if it works in keeping the angle I want.

7. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Have you got a good leather strap? Sounds like you have neck dive and a wide leather strap can help.

8. Interesting, I think that would drive me nuts. But I will try it tonight just because. Goes to show what works for one person might not for another. There is no right or wrong way. He an amazing musician but that looks irritating.

9. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    BB explains everything on this vid he made about the BB bass:

http://www.carvinchannel.com/play.php?vid=116

LS

10. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Cool! It sounds like he really put a lot of thought into what he wanted in a signature bass.

11. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    To my knowledge, the BB carvin is the only bass where correct balance is actually the number 1 feature ;). It just so happens that's my personal most unfavorite problem with virtually every bass I've ever played or owned (My L2000 is the only bass I have or have played that has perfect balance. Even my L2500 has a little neck dive).

That's why I kind of want one and once I sell one or two of my other basses I might order one.

LS