1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bunny Who?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eno50, Apr 11, 2009.

1. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    I guess I have been living in a cave all these years, My wife And I were at a flea market and I went into this tent where this guy was selling CD's, he must have had a thousands,So I browse thru ,I'am allways looking for new material to learn, and I came across a CD With Bunny Brunel in it called CAB, I never heard him play but seen him in the carvin catalogs with his model bass.
    So down the road I asked my wife to hand me the sack,I just bought a cd That I wanted to hear, and she put it in,And I was Starting to get sick,She was looking at me shaking her head and she said to me.. What Planet is this guy from ,he's not human ,and honey you need to practice alot more,And I said yes I may put down the bass and take up the KAZOO,,,
    My wife has a better ear than me ,she is a music major and she was stuned by this guy, She said how can anyone play a fretless with that kind of speed and be so clean and right on
    pitch is unreal. I'am a big fan of Jaco but this guy blows Jaco out of the water.
    Anyway ,just when you think your getting better and feeling good about your playing,and then you come across a guy like this to put you back down(way down) WHY?
    Is This Guy a monster player or what?

I'am sure there are many more like him out there
    I just had to vent,it is guys like this that keep you going and a Reaility Check....

Eno

2. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008
    Yup, Bunny is a monster but for the most part doesn't play "monster bands". I got to say that I am not that impressed by his sig Carvin bass tho'. Course, if I could played like him, I'd make a wash-tub and two strings sound like a great bass.

It does amaze you the guys out there that can flat assed play and they aren't house hold names. Someday.....someday....

Just keep being impressed, thats what makes us get "gooder" .

3. He's a great player. I picked up a video of him a few years ago and was utterly blown away by it. And he plays Carvins too...:smug:
    Although I am not of fan of the fusion Jazz type stuff anymore, I know really good playing when I hear it.

FG

4. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Back in the 70's or very early 80's I picked up one of Bunny's first solo albums, I think it was called Ivanhoe or something like that. He struck me as a complete Jaco clone, so I never listened to anything else he's done since.

I know, stupidly dismissive of me, I should probably check him out again...maybe he's gotten better in 30 years!

5. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Yes...this guy is a maniac. He just doesn't get any pub, don't know why. As great as he is, Carvin basses should be backlogged with orders.

6. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Bunny has been amazing people with his playing for a long time! Here is an old video of him playing with Chick Corea in 1979. I believe he was playing a Fender back in those days.

It's always woodshed time fo me after listening to and/or watching Mr. Brunel!

A Groove is a Terribel Thing to Waste! :cool:

7. He is a regular down at the Carvin showroom in Santa Ana. For years he was giving lessons upstairs in the audio demo room. I don't know if he is still coming in on a regular basis anymore... Santa Ana is starting to get to be a pretty rough place the last couple of years.

8. wHOA! I heard Vic W. pay tribs to Bunny, but I never ever heard his name before. Whoa! I stand humnbly before you Sir; your playing is inspiring! THANK YOU!

9. Natrix

Natrix

Mar 21, 2009
    Sydney Australia
    Bunny's been around on albums since the mid 70's .
    But "blows Jaco out of the water " ---no ,no .no . The quality of the lines isn't even close.
    Speed , yea . but so what.
    One of my american friends used to call him Boo-ee Brunel coz he's always doing
    those sliding harmonics ....boooo--eee :)

10. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    I am the rare Brunell Signature model Carvin player that had never heard him play before buying one. I liked the shape, sound and options available, and how it felt in my hands during the test drive.

So, regardless of who Bunny is, I bought the bass 'cause it's a nice bass. Too bad I totally suck with a six string. Should have got a 4.

11. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    I should add that I was pretty surprised that he was a 4 string (mostly) player.

12. edubb

edubb

Dec 6, 2006
    every time he plays at those "bass Player Live" concerts with other greats he is always mentioned as the standout or one of the stand out players of the show. It doesnt seem to matter who is on the stage with him either. Stanley, Marcus, Vic, anybody, he still stands out. That really caught my attention, so now I need to check him out on youtube.

13. NickBass81

NickBass81

Jul 4, 2008
    Rovigo(Italy)
    Endorsing Bulkmusic Strings
    Bunny Brunel IMHO is one of the best players around and one of my biggest fretless influences...he's also a great instructor, I've bought time ago the book he did with Josquin Des Près ("Fretless Bass"), and it's a great book...last but not least he has a great tone!! (even if, honestly, I've never liked too much Carvin amps...)