Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SOLD Burbank Era Tobias Basic 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by tombowlus, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm a definite gear horder, but occassionly I need to make room for more, eh? So, I am considering selling this fine bass:

Tobias (post-Gibson, Burbank) Basic 5, # 1353

This bass has bubinga body wings (according to Mike, one of his favorite combinations on the Basic 5), and is pictured on the left in this photo:

[​IMG]

There are some more photos and discussion in this thread: Tobias Trio. There is nothing wrong with this bass at all, but I am more attached to the other two Tobiases, and I'm thinking that maybe on Basic 5 and one Classic 5 is "enough." I could be wrong, though. :p This Basic 5 comes with the original case.

I'd like to get $2,000 plus shipping for this bass.

Thanks, Tom.

2. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Here is another shot taken at the recent GTG:

[​IMG]

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    GROOVY RUG.

4. Solid bubinga body wings? Holy crap, how much does that thing weigh?

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It's not that much heavier than my maple winged Basic 5, and it's less than my T-40 (but then, what isn't! :eek:).

I'll try to weigh it and post the results.

Tom.

6. Well, my FBB weighs 12.5, so I'm not exactly one to talk. :D

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It's definitely less than that! ;)

Tom.

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

My offer still stands (but feel free to shoot it down again) :smug: !

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Some nibbles, but still available.

10. Jomyo

Jomyo

Oct 6, 2005
    Redwood City, CA
    Tom,

How about a little review or some detailed information on the bass? How is the B, neck, string spacing? How does it sound compared to your other Tobias' or other basses, etc?

Just a thought,

Robert

11. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Keep in mind that this bass was built in Burbank by Mike's California crew in the shop with improvements (mostly environmental) supplied by Gibson. This is technically a Pre-Gibson instrument as all were thru serial #2044.

I had a Basic 6 (#1091) from same shop and I can say the sound was smooth and extremely even all the way across the strings. The feel of the assymetric neck profile provided for effortless play in all positions. The sound of the B string was as good open and up the neck as I've found on any of the top brands. String spacing on mine was 17mm at the bridge. Very comfortable for chords and fine for slapping.
    The quality of workmanship and attention to detail was IMHO even better than on the current MTD's that I've played, (A BIG IMHO here) which is saying a lot given the quality and attention to detail typical on Mike T's work in general.

Bottom line, if Tom is crazy enough to offer this here instead of letting it be ebayed to a collector overseas (which is where mine went)
    we should take advantage of him. ;)
    If I wasn't in the middle of moving I would! :help:

Obvious question: Why did I sell mine?
    Answer: GAS and temporary insanity!

P.S. I'm feeling MUCH better now.:rollno:

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Wow! Not only did you beat me to the punch, but you delivered the knock out blow! :D

What he said. ;) There are no issues with this bass. It is actually in the best shape of the three Tobiases I own, but I bought it last, so I have not bonded with it like the other two. The red Basic 5 was my first Tobias, and it was a very significant purchase for me, so that one is staying. The Classic 5 was originally made for one of Mike's former employees (Obe), and it has some very special things going on, so it's a fixture, too. :smug: But man, I really have too many basses! So that leaves the Burbank Basic 5. I actually prefer black hardware, and this is one of the best wood combinations (according to Mike), but for the reasons that I just stated, it is the one for sale.

One more comment on the tone of the early Tobias basses. They are not as crystal clear, open, and bell-like as Mike's current creations. The general tone is more full, forceful, and powerful. But, they have plenty of EQ, so you can dial in a more 'modern' tone. Actually, these old Tobiases are pretty darn flexible, tonally, and they do have an active/passive option (which I wish you could get on MTDs).

Tom.

13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I so wish I had the money for this bass...

14. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite

Oct 20, 2004
    \
    Did you get the chance to weigh it? I'm interested, but weight is an issue for me.

Ben

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Sale pending!

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Gah, I meant to do this last night, but my wife wasn't feeling well, and I was running around doing a million other things. I'll still try and get that information.

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thank goodness!... DANG!!... thank goodness!... DANG!!... argh... :)

I bet it weighs about 10 pounds. As I recall, these are not light basses, but not killer heavy, either.

Thing is, these body styles "hang lighter" than, say, a J bass, so it's probably not that big of a deal even for someone fairly sensitive to weight. MTD's are like this as well. My solid body MTD is over 9 pounds and the only time I even notice it is when I'm picking it up from the stand.

18. Jomyo

Jomyo

Oct 6, 2005
    Redwood City, CA
    :D :D :hyper: :bassist: :D :D

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    And Sold!!! :D

BTW, weight is just under 11 lbs.