1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Burgess Penguin -Improv, Excessive Labeling and Gratuitous Quackery

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Owl, Mar 24, 2009.

1. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Well, this past Sunday was a milestone for me. For the first time in nearly 8 years, I'm involving myself in an actual live band again. Burgess Penguin has officially been launched, with myself, Jeff M who plays keys, guitar and trumpet, Jeremy D on drums and percussion (although he couldn't make yesterdays jam/rehearsal) and me primarily on fretless bass.

The musical thrust, pure improv baby!! It draws on our collective experiences and influences, not to mention odd quirks. Jeff and I both share a ridiculous love of the 1960's Batman TV series for one. What came out with just two of us sounded something like a hilariously nightmarish collision of King Crimson, Bernard Hermann, circus music, cartoonish passages and surf just for starters.

And to set the mood, I attached "Bat--" labels to all gear, and even the plastic penguin on top of the TV (yes I do have a NON-EXPLODING penguin sitting on top of the TV center).

Much fun had by all, a lot of it was recorded, and we will make our first appearance next month locally @ Earthshaking Music's open mic night in Atlanta.

My whole attitude on it, I don't want the audience to say either, "that was nice" or "that sucked", but rather, WHAT THE BLOODY HELL WAS THAT???" [​IMG]

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK!!!!

BatBassAmp.

JeffandtheBoid.

BatGuitarAmp.