1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Burk goes to the Bears!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, Aug 16, 2007.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Well, the internet connections n Alaska aren't great so I've been away for a while. Here's a little travelogue. Picture #1 King Salmon AK Metropolitan Airport #2 the "luxury" accommodations (electricity and running water was optional) #3 our lodge neighbor #4 View from the lodge ak1. ak2. ak3. ak4.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Although your picture posting sytle needs some work, its good to hear you are alive and well!

Has you Sadowsky sold yet?

The Lobby has gone crazy without you!

M

3. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    A few more, #6 He's in the way, NO FISHING! #7 A nice Sockeye Salmon #8 They can Fish too #9 A Dolly Varden ak6. ak7. ak8. ak9.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Nice! We have fews like that where I live.

I like the outdoors.

-Mike

5. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Any yet a few others. Sorry my picture posting style doesn't meet Mark L's high standards!:D #10 Sockeye Salmon in River #11 Another nice Rainbow trout #12 A Bear Fishing #13 Matt with a nice Sockeye ak10. ak11. ak12. ak13.

6. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    And yet a few more: #14 Brooks Falls (only one Bear there now, I hear in July there can be twenty or more!) The Bear were all over at Margo creek (when we were there, we were moved off spots by Bear about every hour-we had 800 lb. Grizzlies within twenty feet- no guns in Katmai park) # 16 Another nice Rainbow # 17 Two two year old bears playing outside camp #18 Sushi! This bear got closer, we could hear his jaws chomping! I wasn't taking pictures when they got too close, the camera noise can be an issue. ak14. ak16. ak17. ak18.

7. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I didn't take as many pictures as I expected, the weather was far two nice and sunny. It was 75 and sunny most days, until the last day on the way out when it turned 50 and rain (real Alaska weather). Here's a last couple of shots, I can't wait to go back. #19 Closeup of the Tundra #20 the laskt nice Dry fly Rainbow ak19. ak20.

8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

nice shots !!

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Wow! Amazing. Welcome home!

10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Hey Steve - nice to hear from you. :D

It's nice to hear that you've gone to the bears after you've been going to the dogs all these years!

11. Wow! I am not a fisherman and have never been all that interested in visiting Alaska - but those pics are making me reconsider my position!

12. Great pictures. Those Sockeyes are magnificent.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Great pics! Looks like it was an awesome trip.

FYI: put spaces or line breaks in between the images. They'll fit better.

14. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    You should have shot it.

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Now I think of it, this is the first picture I see of you without a cap! Y

16. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI

No guns allowed in Katmai, it's a National Park. You can carry Bear spray, but I'm not sure of it's effectiveness. The only comfort I had is their is no recorded instance of a Bear attacking a group of three or more that are together. so we stayed fairly close. The closest bears I didn't photograph, as I preferred the silent treatment. It's also hard to run with a camera in your hands.:D There were three occasions on the trip where I could have touched a 600 lb. plus Grizzly with my fly rod (9 feet). I could hear them chewing Salmon on more then one occasion. Thank God Salmon taste better then Fisherman, or maybe it's the Gore Tex and fleece "skin" we have that turns them off. At the camp the owner went everywhere with a .44 mag, we had bears go thru camp on three occasions.

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    For some reason your pictures come out fine on my mac, but whenever I view this thread on a PC it makes the screen so wide they are unviewable!

18. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Mac probably resizes the images to fit the screen or something. They are fairly wide (wider than the screen) on my PC, too.