Burke Shelley / Budgie - the hardest rockin' P bass ever?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bass V, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've seen the Ox, Lyons, Wetton, Ridley, JPJ, Geezer, Mel, Thain, Dirty, Dunaway, pretty much all the acclaimed raw tone monsters of the classic P era, yet the crushing sound a poor Welshman consistently got out of one Fender Precision, a pick, and an ever-cobbled sound system in the most dreary touring conditions may remain the best ever had. mention his name even in the bass world and few would have a clue.

upload_2017-8-22_20-59-51.png

Now yer squawkin': The story of Burke Shelley and Budgie

cheechi, fretter, JimK and 4 others like this.
  2. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Too bad he changed up his voice. Budgie kills anyhow!

Bass V likes this.
  3. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I quite like his tone on Breadfan, but I have no idea how he got it. It seems clean and almost slightly over-cooked in the mids. Round and punchy and maybe not even that full in the low end. Definitely quite unique, and I've guessed (correctly) a few Budgie tracks on the radio based in part from the bass tone. And the dude singing.

So, when is this look coming back?

39ca9f0fce8df8a7c6a7cb4c141b975d--todd-rundgren-budgies.jpg

RickC, Bass V and HaphAsSard like this.
  4. That's what I like about P basses, the harder you beat them the better they sound, this band's pretty good, I've heard the name before but never heard them.

Bass V likes this.
  5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    the real RnR HoF material from Wales, organic like their Brit brethren Black Sabbath and Zep

upload_2017-8-23_19-43-16.png

Budgie, Captain Beyond, and DUST were the best unknown bands of the classic era

JimK and Axstar like this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    no mention of P tone can be complete without Billy Talbot

7. Pachap

Pachap

Jun 21, 2014
    Savannahstan, GA
    Man, I used to love sitting around and playing that opening riff of Breadfan endlessly on guitar. The bass line is obviously a good kick as well, and I could have hours of endless fun noodling around with it too. Growing up, I always thought the Metallica version was kick ass. But when I finally heard the real Budgie version, I was blown away. It actually had a bass line, and a damn good one at that. It was just so many years ahead of it's time, I think. Budgie's brand of proto-metal was crazy good.

Bass V likes this.
  8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Tony Bourge! I often prefer his playing to Jimmy Page.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Not disputing you...at all!
    IIRC, though-
    JPJ, Mel, Thain, & Dunaway were J-guys. No?

I think I got Dirty...BOA?
    :)

10. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021