Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Burk's Fishin Report # 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, Oct 16, 2005.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Well I went back to northern Mi. for a day trip with the Fly Rod. The first stream we checked the Platte, had a few fish but the bright sun made them uncooperative, I went one for two landing one eight pound king salmon. So we checked out my "secret stream", a small stream with a decent sized river mouth, also the weather turned cloudy and windy, what we found we a school of a hundred fresh Salmon in a pool about 75 feet long! Needless to say, fun ensued. I went 12 for about 20 on small size 12 egg flies with 4 lb. leaders. My friend Matt landed 5 for about a dozen hookups. We didn't break off, but had some hook pullouts due to leader stretch. These fish fight! The fresh Kings all went airborne, some jumping four or five times during the fight, and they change direction very quickly! My right arm was actually cramped up from holding the rod against the strength of these fish. Here's a couple of shots, My friend Matt is the drummer for a local blues rock group (the muggs) and a fine fly fisherman too.

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Whoa...nice fish. I have a 22 foot ProLine here in So. Cal, and hit the water whenever I can...This Summer I was chasing
    Yellowtail, Calico Bass, Sand Bass, and Halibut. It was sort of a tough season out here this year though...

Nice fish!

Slug

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Nice fish!

We caught two yellow fin and two longfin tuna about 50 miles off shore of Maryland a month or so ago. They were all between 35 and 45 pounds. I just finished my last steak last week...I probably have mercury poisoning I ate so much fish.

I mainly fish the Chesapeake Bay so striped bass is usually the target. Bluefish, perch, skate, flounder, sea trout, pickerel, catfish, and toadfish are other common hookups. Of course, the blue crab is our specialty.

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Pictures please? I do intend to do the false albacore thing with the fly rod, hopefully next year. I hear their is no fish as strong as a Tuna in fighting.

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Dude, you look like you're in pain (or a terrible indigestion :D )

Seriously, nice fish!

(and most of your post was chinese to me :confused: :D )

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I've heard of people catching tuna with fly rods!! I can't imagine. We were using fat Penn reels and typical tuna gear.

I'll have to post a pic from my home pc. They're purty!