Burks Fishin Report

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, Oct 1, 2005.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Well I spent the day chasing Chinook Salmon. I am consistently amazed at the quality of fishing that is available here in God's country (northern Mi.). The salmon run in the fall and everything seems a little behind this year, global warming or no rain. Anyway the rain came wed. and I was on the stream today. The mourning started with visible fish all around. Hooking these fish in a stream on a fly rod is one thing, landing them is quite another. I went 7 for 15 which is real good ! The average fish takes about 20 minutes to land and your usually about a hundred yards downstream from where you hook them when you land them. All fish were landed with 3X (6 lb.) leaders. They say their running small this year, I'll let you guys judge! :D
  2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    How heavy are those things?
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Whoa! Nice catch!

brad cook
  4. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The silver one (Female) is about 22 lbs., The Male (Darker) is probably close to twenty four lbs. Which is slightly above average. The average King in MI. is probably 16 lbs. I have caught them twice the size of the fish photographed, my biggest to date were both over 40 lbs.! These fish are strong and if they want to so somewhere (after being hooked) they go there. You have no choice but to follow. The male jumped four times, and the female was almost four bends downstream when we used the net on her.
  5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    So yeah, I'll be home tonight after 8, for whenever you want to drop a few salmon steaks off. :p

I've never been fly fishing before. Looks like a blast. Where did you go?
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

I have been having some success up here in the rivers of Washington myself.

7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Awesome Burk! You look like you're having a great time.
  8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Nice fish!

How did they taste?
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I really need to buy a rod. I've been meaning to. This guy I know fishes on the Bass Pro Tour and he's going to give me a reel (that is supposedly very nice). I really like fish.

brad cook
  10. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I hear you guys have us beat on size of fish, but the numbers of Salmon in the great lakes is astonishing. I have had days where I have hooked fifty salmon, and more then one. As far as taste, I was in a catch and release mood that day, got enough of a workout just chasing them. But if you get them fresh like that silver one they can be real good.
  11. Excellent catches burk. Congrats.

Time to throw a TB fishfry??? :p
  12. Ill make hushpuppies.
  13. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

mmmmm food...
  14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    catch any brown trout up there?
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I went out yesterday, and the fish were running thick in a little creek we found. I was with a buddy, and I stood in the middle of the creek and deflected all the fish to him. We were catching so many good size fish that we were releasing 15-20 pounders back into the water.

Those are some good looking fish you caught Burk. Nice job!!

16. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Yeah we've got a some real good and natural trout streams. I wish I would have had my trout tackle with me yesterday, during the hot afternoon the hoppers, were everywhere and the browns would have been feeding like they were at a smorgasbord
  17. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Great catch, Burk!!!

18. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Very nice pics Burk! I haven't been fly fishing in years, I'm more of a baitcaster/spinning outfit kinda guy. The smallies here on the Fox are really starting to come on, usually right before October they get into a feeding frenzy trying to bulk up for winter. I think I'll go tomorrow since we just had a huge thunderstorm roll thru today....

What do you use fly wise? Do the Chinooks go for streamers, poppers, caddisflies, etc?
  19. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Chinook tend to hit small flies on a natural drift. Stonefly nymphs, Egg flies, Woolly Buggers, and egg-sucking leaches. On our larger rivers you can "swing streamers or Spey flies". They are not surface feeders so leave your poppers at home. Have you tried Smallies with the fly? Once I learned how to catch them with the fly rod my conventional tackle went the garage sale route.
  20. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Try going up to AK with a net and a boat where the limit is 200 per day!

Anyway, nice catch.