1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Burl anyone? 300lbs for 3$

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by T2W, Mar 3, 2007.

1. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    Hello fellow woodworkers,
    couple days ago, someone started a thread called 'Crazy Idea', where we discussed drying wood. I went on explaining how I dry my wood, since I go in the forest and cut my own wood. Then someone added this:

Stuff like this just makes you wonder......"hmmmmm maybe I can do this too? hmmmmmm

Thanks Fennek......another possible project to ponder .....LMAO as if there aren't too many already

I think you should, I really think you should. 3 bucks of gas, one very sore body, and 5 hours later, I came up with this. I think it is Sugar Maple. What you see here is only 1/4 of the burl since I cut it up in 4 pieces to be able to pull it out of the woods. This piece weighs about 80 pounds (multiply that by 4) thats a hell lot of burl. So go ahead, call me crazy, I like it..:smug:

2. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    By the way, if you can help me to identify this burl, I would appreciate. I can't tell from the tree bark and there are no leaves (winter) Thanks for your help !

3. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Now you need to figure out which ways to cut it to get the best figuring patterns.

NICE!

4. wow, thats a beauty of a grain on that sucker

5. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    I just hopped on the scale with this big thing. 104lbs !!! so its more like 400 lbs !! Seriously if anyone is interested, depending on how much is good enough for a top, pay the shipping and ill send you a top. contact me and id give you some in a few months.

6. Neat looking pattern, but I don't see any true burl in that photo. Are those bark inclusions?

7. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Nice Job, Fennek. Quelle belle pièce de bois. Quel bel apres-midi ça à du être. J'espere un jour faire comme toi et couper mon morceaux de bois moi même.

Translated now: What a nice piece of wood, What a nice afternoon it probably was. I hope that one day i'll cut my own piece of wood too.

Francois

8. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
  9. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    kinda looks like red oak. colors, etc.

10. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    Thanks Larry and Tribal,
    you're right about not being Burl, there aern't any of those typical 'dots' usually found on Burl. So then, how do you call this? It's not Oak that's for sure, I have never seen Oak in this forest and I could probably find my way home with my eyes closed in those woods. Ash however... the more I look at the Bark and the grain, the more i'm starting to believe it's Black Ash. What do you guys think?
    Thanks Again !!! -Mario-

11. whatever wood it is, it will make a bunch of sick tops

12. Agreed it's not red oak. Can you take a good photo of the bark? Looks like some spalting going on there. Are those freeze cracks? It's pretty cool stuff for sure, but without having the wood in hand I can only speculate.

13. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    You go Mario, I made that comment you spoke of initially. I have taken down a couple of trees in my day, just not lately. Still pondering the idea.

14. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I used to be a crazy logger in the old days. It might be black ash.

15. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Very cool nothing down here worth hunting....:spit:

16. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    When I take a look at the Thuya Burl at my local lumber yard, I can't believe they sell them 1200$. Sure it's nicer looking than this piece, but its barely big enough for three tops. I think I have figured out a way to cut this up in nice 1/4" pieces. I might cut one piece flatsawn and some others quarter. If the Spalt is nice everywhere, it would look absolutely sick flatsawn. Anyone ever cut Burl before (or whatever this thing is called) Any good tricks on how to cut it, how to figure out which piece would be nice? Thanks for your help !

17. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    whole burls are tricky but is that what your referring to?
    that looks like a scab section of a tree (log)

as far as burls go you can either cut it along the log (if its a clusterburl or in log form, in a large mill
    or across the top if its wide and solid. with a chainsaw mill.

thing about lumber is that many forms of timber become hollow (especially burls) and rot from the inside out.
    I have both red oak and black ash here and I said red oak because of this. (anyone see a similarity) although because of the ice and suck it could be easily black ash. I have that here to refrence too.
    but if theres none in the forest that kinda rules it out. (oak)
    the leaves would tell the tale. or holding it/cutting it!

and WOW $1200 for a thuya burl!!! thats definately on the very veyr high side but moracco is kinda far from Qb

Attached Files:

18. SirBass

SirBass

Jan 1, 2007
    Sweet home...
    how do you tell from the end grain that it is burl?

19. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    Hello Tribal,
    don't know if you checked out the video (post #8) we can clearly see it. The tree was about 12 inches across at the Base, then this 'burl' just kinda popped out , maybe 24 inches across, I couldnt even wrap my arms around it, then the tree went back to normal, about 8 inches across. But it wasnt a normal burl, you know as an outgrowth on only one side of the tree. So I cut in 4 pieces, kinda like an Orange, so basically it is a log, one weird as hell shaped log. I figured out a way to build a simple chainsaw mill, ill probably cut these up in 1" slabs, both flatsawn and quarter sawn, then pass it on the Baker to end up with two bookmatched pieces of 7/16 thick, and plane it down to 1/4", sticker and stack it, and let it air dry for months...

20. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Cool video. Thanks.

What a weird looking tree! I wonder what made it spread out like that?