1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Burlington, Vermont: I'm strongly considering moving here

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SnoMan, Apr 8, 2009.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    So, I'm in Burlington this week on vacation visiting some artist friends and I have absolutely fallen in love with the place.

I'm really having trouble explaining it because I feel like I could just go on and on. I've been here 5 days and I feel like I just got here. I'm truly dreading going back to WV. Honestly, my band is the only thing that will keep me from moving here as soon as I possibly can.

I would like to hear anyone's thoughts and opinions on Burlington or VT as a whole. I know the winters are bad...but I love winter and deep snows.

I just feel so at home here. I want to go out and get a job right now and just stay.

I'd very much like to hear anyone's opinion who would like to share it.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Vermont is wonderful. I love the place. I've visited for skiing in ski season and in the summer for vacation. One of my favorite states. Rutland is nice, too. The skiing is absolutely fantastic. One day I'd like to take a month and hike the Long Trail.

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I grew up in Middlebury, VT. About 45 Minutes south of Burlington.

First, I feel I should emphasize the deal with the winters. I don't know what WV is like during the winters, I know there are a lot of hills there, but right now I'm living in Baltimore, so I think I have a rough idea of the climate. Vermont winters are long. Temperature gets down to freezing mid-fall (it wasn't uncommon to get a light snow shower in the latter end of October) and the last snow can stick around until the middle of April. That's close to 6 months of winter weather, plus another 2-3 months of "mud season", which is as pleasant as it sounds. In December and the beginning of January it will get dark, like nighttime dark, around 4:00 PM. When you think of snow in Vermont, don't think of long sheets of virginal snow, there are those, but they tend to last a day before they get plowed out and become bordered by dirty, slushy sidewalks and blacktop. The slush will soak your boots and pants and after you get home, you'll want to do nothing but sit in front of the fireplace or furnace and take a nap. The slush can also take decades off your car's undercarriage if it gets up there and starts to rust. Invest in waterproof boots and a good winter coat. And wear layers. Lots of layers

It is beautiful in the summer though.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I feel that, if you're that enamoured with Vermont, you deserve a primer in the environmental hazards. Growing up there, I didn't like it a whole lot. We moved there in the middle of my 3rd grade-year, I had left all my friends behind and had a lot of trouble making new friends. I don't remember much of the music being very good; I was a awkward punk rock kid into the Ramones and Operation Ivy, and everyone else either loved Phish, country, or ridiculous nu-metal/gansta rap (or all three in some cases). Later on, I'd learn about people like James Kolchalka and the little alternative music scene up in Burlington, but I was too young then to get up to Burlington on a regular basis to see it.

Still I do miss it sometimes. It's a beautiful state with lots of cute little towns, great old houses and the people are really friendly. I wish I could get up there more often than I do.

4. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    My favorite morning radio show just got a sindicated affiliate in Burlington. That's about all I know about them :)

5. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Lol went up there skiing a couple times (and went to the mall which I believe was in Burlington when my legs got tired)...seems to be all laid back ex-hippies.

They have good beer (umm long trail)

The 60's font signs for "The Bus" crack me the hell up.

The Skiing is great for the East Coast....

Yeah I'd totally move there if I found a good job.

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    To put it in perspective, there was a snowstorm this morning, but a week ago it was 55 and sunny. Winter is cold, and windy as hell. To the point where you'll forget what it was like to go outside and be warm.

But Burlington is a great area, I love it up here. Lots of great beer (Longtrail, Magic Hat, etc.), a real laid-back vibe, fantastic live music scene... Rent's a little expensive, but that's everywhere.

7. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I've found more and more reasons to want to be live here everyday.

Leaving in a couple of days will not be pleasant.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I spent a week in Rutland right before Christmas. It was a nice area for sure. Real similar to where I am now, just everything is older and it get's colder there.

I could see myself living there, but with no pro sports teams within reasonable driving distance, I would go insane.

-Mike

9. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    What's reasonable driving distance?

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Three hours I would drive. I do that now to go to Canucks games.

-Mike

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I find plenty of reasons all day long to be live here where I am residing. Then again, I guess it wouldn't really matter where I was when I am dead.

:D

-Mike

12. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    You can make it to Boston in three hours, and Montreal is much closer than that.

Of course, I'm not going to advocate that any of you move here until I've signed my lease for next year :p

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I didn't realize Boston was that close. Steeler fans are always welcome at Patriot home games, I am sure.

Montreal has some fake version of American football, but I could watch hockey there.

OK, I'm moving tomorrow. I need a house with my own syrup harvesting operation already setup in the backyard, preferrably coming out to a tap somewhere near the dinner table.

-Mike

14. BigKahuna13

BigKahuna13

Nov 21, 2004
    LI New York
    I have a second home in Vermont. With my primary residence being on Long Island and working and playing in NYC I don't know that I could ever live there full time but the weekends and weeks that I spend there are a wonderful change of pace.

15. I grew up in VT and went to UVM. Burlington is cool, if cold, windy, and cloudy for most fo the year. There's a housing crunch as well. The music scene has a lot of hippie action. But I loved it there. Corporate America hasn't sucked all the life out of it yet.

16. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    According to a paper I read the other day, there's something like 1% vacancy in the city itself.

17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    It's easy to like a place when you're visiting on vacation. No work, hanging out with friends, seeing everything for the first time. Where the metal meets the road is when you have to find a job, place to live, friends, partner, etc.

My advice for you my young friend, "It's not about where you are at, it's about what you are doing". If the place accomodates what you would like to be doing, then go for it.

18. If you need some incentive - go to Dakin Farms and get some bacon. There's one over by the mall - between EMS and the Barnes and Noble.
    Do it. Do it now.

19. WakeboardMom

WakeboardMom Guest

Jun 19, 2008

NYC isn't quite the be-all and end-all that some think it is. It certainly has it's redeeming qualities, but the urban scene isn't for everyone.

And as for living in VT, Killington isn't Burlington. See the posts above. Burlington has a vibrant music scene, plenty of good restaurants, a lovely downtown and a great waterfront area on Lake Champlain. By northern NE standards, it's relatively cosmopolitan. And as stated above, Boston isn't far, Montreal is relatively close, and your beloved Manhattan isn't that far either.

Burlington is one of the nicest places I've visited. If one can handle the long, cold winter, it would be a great place to call home.

20. WakeboardMom

WakeboardMom Guest

Jun 19, 2008
    You work, she plays?