1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BURN DOWN THE BEHRINGER PLANT!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rancidrancid, Oct 30, 2006.

1. :mad: :mad: Ok, so I'm having band practice night before a big party gig, and we get through one song, and my amp just stops making noise.
    After about 20 minutes we're positive it's my amp.

So we call down the guitar player's dad to check it out, speakers not ripped, everything is connected, everything seems ok. I run the preamp out straight to the PA and it works, but nothing comes out of my amp anytime for the rest of the night.

We thought the wire connecting the speaker to the preamp part of the combo got messed up, so we go and get a high quality one to replace it. Replace it, two minutes later, it does it again. Exactly one year after I bought it.

Any idea on what the crap happened?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    No idea, but it sounds like it could be a bad output jack for the speakers. I'd take it to a tech.

BTW, a lot of amps will have problems. Don't blame just the brand, but I do know Behringer is a little higher on the list for problems... Just remember, you get what you pay for.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If replacing the speaker cable fixed it temporarily, then you may have a screwed up output jack on the back of the amp head. Check that and the speaker jack on your cabinet. If that doesn't fix it, then burn down the plant.

4. :bassist:

5. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    This is why you always buy the extended warranty.

6. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Actually it could be a point NOT to.

I had a BX4210A and bought the 2 year Guitar Center plan, thing.

I had the unit just shy of one year when it blew and, because it was still under manufacturer warranty, Guitar Center basically told me "Meh, not our problem."

Behringer replaced it [with something "better"] and that means that I wasted about $90 for the 2 year coverage from Guitar Center.

7. Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Well that is how it works. Behringer has to cover it for that first year. It's not GC's problem until the factory warranty is done. After that, it is their problem, if you bought the extended warranty that is.

8. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    A massive over reaction by the owner?

9. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    What's the point?

It still put me, the consumer, out $90.

10. Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    If something happens again, after the factory warranty but before the GC warranty is up, you're covered. Think of it as health insurance. It's better to have that coverage. Because you never know.

11. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    It has been said many times that if you buy based only on the price, you will end up spending more on it.

As a former Behringer user, I Suppose that's true after all.

[/THREAD HIJACKING]

12. you "the consumer" just found out how much GC cares about theyre "consumers"

13. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I bought a Behringer 100 watt 12" combo amp in February at samedaymusic.com. Not bad, for three weeks. :) Then for some odd reason the volume level went down to about a 5 watt amp. :)

But the good thing is this: I returned it to a small local music store, technically a Behringer dealer, (though they have nothing in stock there), because the Behringer website said it could be returned for service to any dealer. And they agreed to send it back to Behringer!

I'm still waiting to get it back... about 4 weeks now.

14. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Do you LIKE the B-ing-er?

If you only liked the price, I am a firm believer in used. A used PV head costs next to nothing and ime they are tough to kill. forget GC and troll craiglist/ebay/TB ... deals aplenty.

and i agree with SMASH. I konw of a high end brand's amp that did nothing but fail, depsite several trips to the factory. Yo get what you pay for, or sometimes not. Customer service, on the other hand, is usually great with a higher end company. (then again PV cs was great the one time i needed them).

15. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Please, PLEASE!!! Don't burn down the Behringer plant. You will kill all those poor, helpless chinese child laborers that are chained to their posts in the assembly line. Oh, won't somebody think of the children.

All kidding aside, I hope you get your amp situation ironed out. I've known three local bassists that used Behringer amps. All three had their gear fail at inopportune moments. I myself have had a Behringer mixer crap out on me. I find purchasing Behringer gear to be very comparable to flushing money down the toilet.

Behringer fans flame away...

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Oh, you're definitely right there... But in general, the rule does apply. But in this situation I don't really think it is Behringer's fault completely. They do use cheaper components, and it does allow some less monetarily endowed to get into playing music. I do appreciate them for that. That said, we all know the debate about their business practices, which we don't really have to get into.

I use a mixer of theirs, and it's pretty good. I also use an older tascam, and the preamps are MUCH better. But no phantom power, so I use an external phantom box.

17. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    LOL :D

With an intermittent failure like that you need to do some testing when the unit is not working. Could you output the amp to another speaker cab? If the amp is the problem swapping the output cable should not have made a difference. Good luck!

18. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I've owned a Behinger Ultrabass BX3000T amp head for over 2 years- play it daily and have had no problems. I think those same Chinese kids make my underwear as well... :meh:

19. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Is there ever an opportune moment for gear to fail??? ;)

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You may be kidding, but I'll pretty much guarantee the plant in China that makes these amps does not have OSHA style safety measures. They may or may not literally be chained to their posts, but lots of people surely would die in a fire.