Burned Smelling Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbasslyte, Jan 29, 2005.

1. pbasslyte

Jan 29, 2005
    My practice space (drummers house) caught fire. My amp was over there and fortunatley was spared by the fire. The fire dept. was kind enough to throw a canvas tarp over all the gear so there would be no water damage. the problem is that my amp smells so bad of smoke that after 6 weeks I still cant bring my amp inside! Does anyone know if there is a cure for this? I have scrubbed, used citrus cleaner and fabreeze to the point that I should own stock! I am a finishing carpenter so building a new cabinet is not a problem( although lumber type suggestions welcomed) How can I get my head to smell better(left that one open, lol)????
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    One thing that always got bar stink out of my gear was driving around with it in the back of an open pickup truck bed. It probably won't totally cure it, but it will definitely air it out a bit on the freeway.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Maybe this is one time you actually want to let the smoke out of your amp.
  4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I discovered by accident that if you put a rag with some diesel fuel on it in the back of the equipment van it will cover up any kind of smoke. And this comes in handy when you are undergoing a roadside search. Some of those "Agricultural Inspections" or "Alien Checks" on Interstate 10 can be a little nerve racking. There used to be a product out called "CD2", if the diesel doesn't work you might try something like that.
  5. I'd unscrew the back (or front, whichever is easier) and set the amp outside with a fan blowing fresh air on it. Needless to say, unplug it first... Also try wiping down all surfaces with a mild cleaner.
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

You could have a tech pull the circuit boards, and clean then in an ultrasonic bath, which is by far the most thorough technique I know of. But smoke damage and lightning hits are the two things that generally created total writeoffs in my mind when I was doing audio repair for a living. :meh: