1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Burned Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by João Bourgard, Aug 20, 2012.

1. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    Hi Guys..
    I got what i think it's a burned coil in a 12'' celestion speaker...

I took it out and have checked the wires, the solders everything...

Any thoughs on if it really is a burned coil if so is it home fixable?
    Can it be any other thing?

Thanks in advance~

cheers

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Push the speaker gently inward, does the cone move freely?
    Do you hear crunch or is it ceased? My guess is it completely ceased if it got hot enough to burn.

At any rate, a recone/recoil in needed and probably not something you want to try although the do sell kits. I would not recommend trying it.

Do a Google search for Speaker repair

Once reconed, the speaker will be good as new.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

Couple other things to check are the resistance with a meter, see if it's very far off from the "Re" spec the speaker is supposed to have. And touch the + and - terminals with the posts on a 9volt battery. It should give a good thump and the cone should move in or out depending on how have the battery oriented. Flip the battery around and it should move the opposite direction.

If it fails any one of those things, it's blown. Re-coning uses the same magnet and frame, and replaces everything else, cone, coil, suspension, etc. Basically gives you a new speaker for a good bit less than buying a whole new one.

It doesn't require a whole lot as far as specialty equipment/tools, but takes some skill. Something someone might mess up the first time and there goes your savings. Worth having a pro take care of.

4. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    i pushed the speaker inward gently and it moved freely (just a little but it moved) with no crunch what so ever

5. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    how much do a tech charge for that kind of service?

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Depends on the particular speaker, but you could guesstimate roughly 1/2 to 2/3 cost of a brand new one of the same make and model.