1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Burning Bison!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by showmemagic, Jan 26, 2012.

1. showmemagic

showmemagic

Jul 2, 2011
    I'm thinking of getting a Burns Bison Bass and looking for real reviews from bass players?

Can you recommend the Bison?

2. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sorry took so long. I bought a white bison from a friend in Dec. it's my main gigging bass....replacing my Gibson third (for safety....dont like taking it out).
    Weight. Pretty heavy/solid.....I estimate 10lbs
    Tone. SO many usable tones. I prefer split sound with mid pickup engaged. This setting has a stingrayish pingy-ness high end & mids with plenty of bottom end GREAT for finger style. It's a bright bass regardless of pickup settings.
    Fit. Had to move the horn strap to the neck heel to correct neck dive....once this was done neck dive completely disappeared.
    It's a big bass though....like putting on some kind of weapon.
    Hope this helps
    Barry

3. GTBURNS

GTBURNS

Jul 12, 2012
    Love the Bison, I agree the split sound with the middle pickup is Killer. The local music shop has them come in all the time several local guys are using them and I have not heard any complaints from the ones I know

4. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    I played a Bison and a marquee years ago. I found both to be a wee bit on the heavy side and not very well balanced, though you can get great sounds out of both. Wish i kept the bison.
    Still have a vintage burns nu-sonic short scale bass, sounds like nothing i've ever played....in a good way.

5. GTBURNS

GTBURNS

Jul 12, 2012
    I don't find the Bison or the Shaows bass to heavy just took a little getting used to, for the smaller player it might be an issue. The tonal range has got me hooked for sure. I di find that the reissue seems to have amuch better sound than the origional.

6. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I like them both and would get one were they not so expensive this side of the pond. :p

7. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    I love my Bison. Easily one of my favorite basses. I find the neck extremely comfortable and effortless to move around on. They do neck dive, however. I tried moving strap buttons around, replacing the upper neck plate bolt with a strap button, etc. but ultimately went with a Heads Up strap.

8. GTBURNS

GTBURNS

Jul 12, 2012
    KramerBassFan

They are no more expensive than anything else out there that is quality Just stay away from Ebay

9. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Some of the lower end stuff only recently became available (or so it seems, i might be wrong) while there is very little of the higher end stuff here.

EDIT:

Nope, just looked.... you can get it all here now. :bag:

10. I rented one a few years ago and almost bought it.
    I remember it being really heavy, very thin neck, and super hot pickups. Really cool bass.
    The only reason I don't own it is because of a crack in the neck.

11. GTBURNS

GTBURNS

Jul 12, 2012
    KramerBassFan
    I can get you anything you want, low end or high end takes about four days!!

12. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    In about a year or so, I will be in the U.K. for extended periods, so i'll probably do it then. :D

13. GTBURNS

GTBURNS

Jul 12, 2012
    They are avilable right here in the US saves you the hassel of bringing it back through customs. I bought my origional Bison in London and can tell you getting it back into the US was problamatic, all about the money!!!