Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Burning DVD's... help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steph Dawe, Apr 6, 2005.

1. I have two disc drives - my D drive is just a normal drive, not a DVD or burning drive... my E drive is the DVD/burning drive.

I want to copy a DVD I made, but I'm worried that the source disc isn't being read and so I won't be able to burn my copies.

Would I be correct in thinking this?

If so, I'm kinda screwed. :( :help:

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  3. You'd need a DVD Drive to put the original copy in so it can actually be read then a DVD Burner to put the blank in to burn it.

4. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A DVD burner is a DVD drive. The answers are all at the site I posted above, www.dvdrhelp.com .

5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    True, but from her first post, it looks like she's trying to copy disc-to-disc.

If the first drive isn't a DVD drive, that won't work. You'll need to do a two-step process, Steph - first you put the source into your only DVD drive, and copy to the hard drive; once that's done, remove the source and pop in a blank, and burn the copy from the "image" on the hard disk. Almost all burning software has this "two step" option.

Those links Philbiker listed will help.

6. Which is why I gave the response I did.

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Understood.... but she can still do it with only one drive, as long as she has ample hard drive space for a temporary image.... was just trying to make that clear....

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    download "DVDDecrypter" it's free. You can read dvd's and save them as .ISO files and you can write dvd's as .ISO files. Another good one is "DVDShrink" also free. With these 2 software programs you can copy any DVD known to man (encrypted or otherwise).

9. Sorry. I won't make the same mistake again.

I've fixed the problem - I'm going to use an external USB DVD drive as another drive to copy directly from disc to disc.

Thanks. :smug:

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    youd be better off making an image on your hard drive imo

11. Almost every decent burning program will e able to copy the DVD disk to disk with only one DVD drive.

You put in the originla, open the Burning Program and chose "DVD copy" (or however it'S called)"

Then the program will create a temporary file (so make sure you have at least 5GB hard-disk-space)... then the DVD drive will open and the program asks you to insert a blank DVD... that's it.

12. 1) Too much effort, and I've already arranged to borrow the external drive.

2) I don't have enough space... what with the Sims 2 (University!) and Vegas, and my DVD making programme... meh.

13. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you don't have enough space you can't do it. You need lots of hard drive space to do anything with DVD. Go to the help site I recommended and start reading. It's all spelled out there.