1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Burning in" a New Amp...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Mar 23, 2010.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, my Carvin bx1500 arrived today. I'm very much looking forward to giving her the once over.

A while back someone said that its a good idea to "burn in" the electronics of a new amp so that its less likely to have problems.

How exactly do I do this? I assume I leave it on for an extended time.

1. How long do I leave it on for?

2. How loud should it be? Can I just feed it a signal but keep the volume at zero? Obviously my wife will be none to pleased if I keep the amp on with even moderate volume for 48hrs etc

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    No Burn in is needed but Beat the **** while it's still under 14day trial and warranty period.
    If something is going to go wrong it's going to be within the first little bit of time you have the amp.

3. None of this is necessary whatsoever........ If there is any subtle benefit, it will happen with normal use.

Nothing will make it less likely for problems, but hopefully, if any do manifest themselves, it will be done in the first hours of use. How many hours? I don't know. Maybe two...maybe two hundred.

Years ago, whenever I would go to an electronics store to purchase a (CRT) TV, I would choose one of the display models rather than one in the box. The logic being that if it had been playing day after day in the store, any problem would hopefully have shown itself.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 just rock out.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    burning in a solid state or a hibyrid amp is unnecessary, but i do 'burn in' tube amps after i build them. i do it to 'form' the filter capacitors for the first time.

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    You burn in a tube amp and you burn up a solid state amp!!!:cool:

7. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Not needed.

There is the infant amp mortality thing - but I wouldn't worry about that here. :)

8. easyrider13

easyrider13

Feb 17, 2010
    For years I've heard it said that if electronic equipment is going to fail, it will usually do so in the first 24 hours of use. If it doesn't fail, it should be good for the long run.

When Apple was a smaller company, I think they used to burn-in their computers for a day or so before shipping.

If you have 14 day return privilages, I say let it run.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Got the initial idea for this in this thread:

Post #41

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8703349&highlight=burn#post8703349

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Electronics don't need break-in. Just play it as much as possible before taking it out on a gig to allow any possible defects to reveal themselves.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020