burning mp3's to CD as CD audio- compression?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Mar 10, 2002.

1. the problem - using Nero, which converts mp3's to CD audio, the CD capacity is a full 700MB, yet still only 80min worth of mp3 can be burned as CD audio, even when the source mp3's only take up 80MB or so on the hard drive.

I've heard of pirate CD's containing 4-plus album's worth on one CD using a form of compressed CDaudio- is there a program that can burn mp3's as compressed CDaudio- enabling a full 700MB of mp3's to be burned as CD audio on each CD that can be played in any CD player?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, I don't think you can.
    CD audio takes ca. 10 MB per minute, that's because of the sampling rate of 44.1kHz and the resolution of 16 bit.
    There's no way around it if you still want it to be an audio cd (red book standard).
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sorry, but as JMX said there's no way to fit more than 80 minutes of music onto an Audio CD. There are however music CD players which can read MP3 (or WMA or sometimes manufacturer's own format) data CD's, allowing you burn 700 megs worth of compressed audio files on the disc and playback in those particular players. Everyday CD-players can't read any other format than red book audio.

As for the "four albums on one disc" thing, one of these three options could be valid:

1) The albums were very short
    2) It was burned as a data CD
    3) What you heard is BS ;)
  4. thanks for the replies.
    my cheap CD player can't read mp3's so it looks like I'm stuck with the 80min thing.

it was something I saw on a TV documentary about CD piracy- these CDs (featuring name artists' albums) appearing in Europe.
    I don't know whether they'd play in normal CD players, but I think they were CD audio.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There are CDR that can hold up to 99 minutes though, but the don't comply to the red book standard too (80 min don't either IIRC), but not all burners can use them and maybe not all cd players read them.
  6. A few CD players can decode a burned .mp3, in .mp3 (no .cda conversion) format, but not many. Kenwood has a high end car unit that can and some freeware computer players like AudioGrabber and dBpowerAMP can, but that's about it.
  7. On the subject....I have .mp3 files that I would like to burn onto a CD R disc, (as a .cda as I understand) so the disc can be played in any standard audio CD player.

Does anyone know where I can get a free converter for saving .mp3 to .cda?

Thanks for reading.
  8. edit: I forgot that you can just burn an audio CD in Nero or any CD burning program by just dragging and dropping the files in. It saves yet another step, so disregard the rest of the msg unless you need to resort to it.

Winamp can (or at least used to) be able to decompress mp3 audio into .wav files, which you can then burn as CD audio. I tried looking for the module that allows you to do it on Winamp 3, but couldn't for the life of me find it. Easiest bet is to find a copy of Winamp 2 and enable the plug in. After enabling it you play the tracks you want it to extract and it saves the result in a location on your computer. Easy as pie.

You can also look for specific programs that do just the decompression on a file search site like TUCOWS, but that's only if you really don't like Winamp.

9. gdflash

Dec 12, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Does anyone know where I can get a free converter for saving .mp3 to .cda?

dbPower amp is what I use, works great, and the volume normalize feature is very handy (Keeps you from having to jump to the volume knob between every track). To get it all you have to do is search for dbpoweramp and then the download is free. Converts to .wav file format which play just fine in my cd player.
  10. Thx for the replies... I found a program that works well, has the volume 'normalizer' to keep the gain consistent on the tracks, burns .cda without having to deal with .wav files, & has an 80 min. time bargraph to show how the elapsed time is accumulated during the compiling of tracks.

Love it!!!!!
  11. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Any CD burning software worth it's salt should let you load up mp3's and burn them to CD Audio. Even Windows Media Player 8 in WinXP does.