Burning smell coming from dryer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Feb 9, 2006.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I was doing my laundry today and there was a weird burning odor when I opened the door after it had been running for a couple of minutes. It smelled like an electrical/plastic odor. Any idea what this might be?

2. Could be a motor on it's way out. :meh:
  3. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    I forgot to add that we've been painting the wooden railings on our stairs lately. The smell coming from the dryer actually slightly smells like that varnish/kerosene odor that the paint gives off. Could it also be the fumes from the paint?
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It could also be a belt of some kind in the dryer motor area. Not a belt as in the kind you wear. :D

5. :meh: did you varnish the dryer :eyebrow:

I thought I told you it only needed one coat.:D
  6. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Lint screen??

7. My bet is with a belt in the motor being bad, or the motor itself starting to go. Pretty typical smell that I've encountered with those things. Unless you did varnish the dryer :)
  8. This is a good point. Lint can build up in the screen (assuming you don't clean it) and in the vent hose itself (you'll have to remove it to check). I have a friend whose house burned down because the hose became too congested and the heat buildup ignited the lint. Not that common of a problem, but i've heard of other cases as well.

Sep 13, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Check your dryer's vent hose.
    You can clean it out with a leaf blower.
    I do that once a year.
    It's fun too.
  10. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Is it making any odd noise, different than before you noticed the odor? Still getting warm? I had a heat sensor wire rub up against the dryer body. Burned through, burning insulation smell, no more heat.
  11. Do you have a cat? Is it missing?

Sorry.......I'll leave now. Good luck finding/fixing the problem.
  12. Other than the belts and motor, did you have any paint, or varnish on your clothes that may have not washed out and is getting hot in the dryer???:confused:
  13. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    I didn't have any paint on my clothes, but I think it was the vapors from the paint that collected inside the dryer drum. I ventilated the house while the dryer ran, then used the fluff air function to basically air out the drum. It got rid of the smell, so I think that's most likely what it was.

Thanks for all your help guys.