Burning smell from GK 700rb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rob_thebassman, Feb 26, 2017.

1. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    So I brought my amp along to my band practice, it runs through a neo 1x15, and I had my musicman going through it loud without the active switch on, 3 songs in and it smells burny.. band members think it's just the amp warming up or starting to break in, amp being brand new and that. I turned off and hit the active switch and turned master up, didn't smell as bad. Have I just knackered my amp up or is this a normal thing with these amps? I heard the fan going

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    In my experience, there's a marked difference between unhealthy "burny" and normal "warm electronics" scents. The RBs have a pretty complex fault detection circuit that would likely kick in and mute the outputs if there's a serious problem. If you're still concerned, have it checked out by a G-K authorized service center.

3. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    Cheers mate, it wasn't as bad when there was less gain going in

4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Those RBs are meant to be run pretty hard... since you said it's new, and nothing you mentioned falls into even close to risky behavior, odds are it's just off-gassing or burning off dust and what-not. That's also likely why it dissipated as opposed to you actually doing anything to remedy it settings wise.

Also, for what it's worth, I use a Stingray 5 myself, and can't stand the active pad. Use the volume knob to make sure you don't overdrive the preamp (you'll hear a nasty clipping if you are), and you'll be golden (even if the input clip light flashes now and then). As a point of reference, I usually have my volume set to 11-12:00.

rob_thebassman likes this.
  5. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I've never smelled my 1001RB-II, under any circumstances. If I did, I'd be concerned. Hope you have a warranty on it. Good luck!

6. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    I feel alot more reasured there :) I tell you what though it doesn't half pack a punch in a band, and the cab was quite bright for a 15, and anyone who says it has no low end are wrong :p I ran the stingray with the bass and treble maxed and the middle flat

7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Holy crap, did you have the 5-string button engaged? If so (and even if not), that smell might have been coming from your speaker.

Maybe only being half serious there, and while it's volume dependent, that's a whole lot of low end for a single 15" to try and tackle by itself. The bass knob on a Stingray shouldn't be taken lightly. All I'll say is be careful, and if you hear the cab crying (farting) for help, back off the lows.

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    Good idea, good job it's not got flats on

9. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Not sure how efficient the neo 115 is but I know my old sbx115 barely keeps up in my quieter band.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021