1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Burning sulphur is the only scent that you can never get use to

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 00Funk, Jul 25, 2007.

1. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    I didnt know that. Did you ? They say every other scent, you can eventually adjust to. Not burning sulphur though.
    Interesting.

2. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Curious.

As a chemist, I'm pretty sure I've encountered a couple of other smells that I can't imagine getting used to (pyridine being foremost among them).

Where'd you find this? I'm curious to have a look.

3. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Ever been to Rotorua in New Zealand? Seriously, you get used to it after a while.

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I don't believe it for a second.

Carbon disulphide comes to mind. Butyric acid also.

5. My wife had the inside of her nose cauterized:eek: w/some sort of archaic iron implement of torture when she was 12, to combat frequent nosebleeds. The smell eventually went away, but had it not, I don't think she would have gotten used to it...

6. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Oh man... That must have sucked.

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I had it done when I was 11. I don't remember it being a big deal.

8. I've been married for 15 years and I can say my wife cannot get used to sulfer [​IMG]

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    nonesense. i have relatives that live near vulcanization plants, and while it stinks, it's not impossible to deal with. there are far worse smells, too - the corpse flower for one comes to mind. instead of hot farts, you have something that smells like a cross between exrement and decaying flesh.

methinks this is another "get ready for hell, then, sinner" thread. :rolleyes: -watches-

10. millahh

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken

Ahh yes...cadaverine, I believe. Spermidine is another rough on in that family of molecules, as is putrecine.

11. Some sweet band names right there.

12. The absolute WORSE stink that I encounter is grinding the various animal bone materials in my shop. I never smelled a crematorium but I have to think it would be the same. :spit: I have a belt grinder set up outside just for these occasions :)

13. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    That's why they use it in hell. :ninja:

14. millahh

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Indeed. the world of science is great for band names!

15. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    What about vomit? i couldnt get used to that

16. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    My first job had me working on equipment that belonged to a medical testing facility in a room where they burned blood. That is how they disposed of it after testing. THAT smell was the worst for me. Needless to say I didn't spend much time taking care of the equipment in there. :meh:

17. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    i can't get used to my own farts. on a serious note, my farts have recently changed in their smells. its like rediculous now, i think i ruined my friends chair from farting so much while sitting on it.

Some people tell me they could never get used to the smell of chicken poo and stuff they spray on fields, but when i smell that it reminds me of home. and burning sulphur is a nasty smell.

18. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Pittsburgh prior to 1990, you get used to it, believe me...

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I believe they sell that as a perfume, its called "Eau de TPA"

:D

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    +1