Burning your bridges?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bloodandwhiskey, Nov 18, 2004.

1. I currently work a job i hate. I've already told a co-worker i'm planing on quiting and it looks like i might fired soon anyways. Last night during my shift i nearly told off my supervisor as well as another co-worker and out of fustration i just gave up and took an extra long break(they're suppose to be 15 mintues long but i took a 45 mintue break).

So i was just wondering should I try to start doign a decent job again and wait till i find somehting better(although theres a good chance i migth snap and runaorund yelling profanities), should i outright quit now and moveon or should i just continue slacking and wait for the axe to fall?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No sense losing the job until you have something to fall back on, unemployment for an extended period of time is teh poo.
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :meh: Hmm if they fire you here, you get a compensation - which is usually upwards three months's pay. If you quit, you get nada.
    BUT if they fire you before you get a good job, you have to look for one and have no B plan...

It all depends. If you really hate that job and it is driving you nuts and you are sure you can get a better job, then start looking for a better job, and if you find one, then quit this current one.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Doing anything less than a good job with the excuse that you hate it and are going to quit anyway is just a cop out.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Find a new job, then get fired ;)
  6. Problem:

I remember when I left my 2nd real job I was eligible for unemployment- being the altruistic young one I was I didn't apply because "other people needed it more than me."
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Easier said than done ;) - or, maybe it would work... :meh: ;)
  8. Thing is is that you could try using the old job as a reference for a new employer, if they requested one. That's basically the only reason my manager hasn't had a piece of my mind for his genius "Manager's Message"™ things. It's coming up to Christmas, busiest time of the year. We're understaffed. People want to do extra hours to make more money. This eases workload.

Manager's Message: Overtime is banned.

9. Overtime Banned?

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    It kind of makes depends on what type of job you're talking about and your position in life - What I'm saying is that if you are 19 and working at Burger King it's a whole different thing than if you are 35 with a wife and 2 kids and working a "real" job. We need more details. No, wait - no we don't. Just work hard and do a good job no matter what and if you don't like your job, start looking for a job you think you will like and when you get hired give your old job adequate notice and change jobs. You can't go wrong with that plan.
  11. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm still working there(i'm a janitor at the local college in case your wondering) But i've started looking for a new job.
  12. I thought this was going to be about Fire-eaters and their dental work.

Goodluck in your job search, B&W.