Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BurningSkies, SVT owner?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BurningSkies, Feb 2, 2006.

1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yesterday I was at work, mindin' my own bidness at my desk when a co-worker stopped by...

"Hey, I've got a friend with a bass amp he's lookin't to sell. I told him I thought you weren't interested since you seem pretty happy with your Mesa, but I told him I'd tell you."

So, I respond..."I dunno, I do like my amp, but what is he trying to get rid of?"

..."Its an old SVT..."

So, at this point, I tell him that while I certainly don't NEED another amp, if a 'vintage' SVT taps you on the shoulder and has a good price, you don't turn it down. I asked him to get me more info, he says it's in cosmetically great condition, but he'll find out what year and how much. The owner isn't playing much, has other amps, and doesn't want to have to ship it or use Ebay.

I figure this kind of thing doesn't happen often, and while I'm not dying for an SVT, I probably won't get another offer like this too soon. I also figure I might be surprised by its sound (it's been a few years since I've used one) and that if I really decide I don't like it, I could pass it along to another TB friend (I have one TB'er who's at the very top of the list).

So anyway, once I get some details, I'm going to post them here so I can get some constructive advice about things...

Any inital advice?

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    No advice to give, but I hope it works out for you - sometimes these things just fall in your lap, and you practically HAVE to run with it...

- georgestrings

3. No advice, but you are someone who deserves a classic SVT. It just seems to fit you. Oh, yeah, if he has the original 810 cab, you better get a gym membership also.;)

4. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    When a deal on a cool item that's becoming harder and harder to find presents itself and it's not going to break the bank...

Assuming it's a good deal, I say jump on it.

Three outcomes:

1) You love it and keep it.

2) You flip it to a friend and are out nothing on the deal

3) You hold onto it for a few years and flip it for a nice profit.

Oh, and a fourth:

4) You PM ol' Uglycicles and give him a heads up and first dibs if you don't like it. ;)

:p

5. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    Buy it. Hold on to it for 4 mos. Then sell it to me when I can afford it. I'll pick it up. See you June 2.

(I'm totally serious.)

6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Y'all are reinforcing what I'm thinking...From what I can tell It's a 70's era amp...when I poked at my friend about it he saix 'eah, it's got a silver face'. I'm definitely not looking for an 8x10 cab though...I live in a second floor flat and also drive a sedan, so I couldn't move it very easily. If he does have the cab I certainly would think of passing it on to a TB'er though.

If'n I don't keep it, the first dibbs goes to Hurley000, who was kind enough to sell me his 400+ so he could fund an SVT, then he couldn't find one! :( Otherwise I'll definitely post it around here.

The first bass amp I ever played was an SVT/8x10. I was about 15 and in my first band. At the time, I didn't know anything else or that it was something special (I don't think it was back in 1985).

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Heh. When I got my 400+ I drove to Cape Cod to pick it up. The round trip turned out to be about 13 hours or so.

8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Yeah, TURN IT UP. :bassist:

Lucky bastid :D

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

:)

Not lucky yet...I should see the guy who's selling this tonight...we'll see if this is do-able.

10. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    I'll trick my girlfriend into thinking it's a "weekend away." Then I'll just happen to find a new amp. That's not too suspicious...:ninja:

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Y'see, you come out for a weekend of wine tasting in the Finger Lakes region during the spring...and it will be all romantic-like. ;)

12. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    I love rieslings from the Finger Lakes! Sounds like the perfect cover.

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I might be interested in the 810 - and as you know, I'm right here in Syracuse...

- georgestrings

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Update for interested parties:

As I originally thought, the seller wants more than I'm willing to pay. On top of that, he's got a modern 4x10 that he's selling, and won't split them up.

The head is a 1973 described as being in 'original condition' no mods or any internal tinkering, no damage to tolex, etc. He bought it from the original owner. He didn't tell me what model the cab was, but he mentioned that it was 'the good one' and it was very heavy. I have to be honest, I didn't ask questions about the cab...

He wants 1800 for the whole deal...figuring on 1300 for the head and 500 for the cab.

15. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    Recommend any good ice wine?

16. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    jgrotto:
    Doesn't sound too out of line if it's the 410HLF, don't you think?

Also, did you get the PM I sent you about the SVT?

17. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    Just now.

18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

If'n your serious, lemme know, and I'll get some contact info for you...

19. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    You can always get a nice piece of glass for the 810 and you have a coffee table.

I enjoyed my trip to the Finger Lakes. Fox Run Winery. mmmmmmm

20. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    Not in the market for a cabinet... but a humbling phone call to everyone I know to borrow some loot could pay for the head.