1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Burnout

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JBFLA, Apr 2, 2013.

1. JBFLA

JBFLA Roscoe FANatic

Apr 8, 2003
    Jupiter FLA
    Question for you:
    Have you ever reached a point where the desire to gig just fell off the map?

I'm 58 and have played since I was 18 - full time from age 18 to 34 and part time until recently. Played most every style of music (if it pays the bills I'll take the gig) and enjoyed all of it.

The last band I was in played 3 nights a week until we worked ourselves in to the "Corporate/Society" gig circuit in the Palm Beach area. Great gigs, but a lot of work. And, I work a full time day job. When they wanted to go in a different direction (think "Pussycat Dolls" with sequenced tracks) I left.

I still play/practice every day, but I don't pursue gigs or even open mic events. This kind of goes against my history, and I don't particularly like it, but it is what it is.

Any thoughts/hints/ideas as to what direction I should consider?

And please don't tell me I'm too old... I'll just tell you to get off my damn lawn!!!

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I have no real advice for your situation, but I am 44 and my drummer is 47. We get sick of gigging too. That's why every few months we simply quit booking them. We still rehearse, but we rehearse strictly new material. It helps to take a break. I am looking forward to the busy time, which starts this Saturday night.

3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    I am 52 and went through this a few years ago. I took time off from gigging and worked on practicing my technique and learning different styles. I am now gigging again and it enjoying more than at any point since I started playing 35 years ago.

4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    It's a challenge to stay fresh, yeah, IME. I've often found that when the biz was the best I wasn't motivated. IOW, the biz is about playing the marketable stuff over and over--and that's the opposite of the joy of being musically inspired. IME, YMMV, the usual disclaimers.

I've stepped away from gigging sometimes, and just waited until I felt the jones again. Cosmic irony: often, when I was jonesin' again, it took me a while to find a gig! Heh, on me.

Serious woodshedding works for me, in the between times.

5. JBFLA

JBFLA Roscoe FANatic

Apr 8, 2003
    Jupiter FLA
    Thanks guys, it's nice to know this isn't an isolated thing. Woodshedding is always a good thing - maybe going back to a good teacher is in the books. My reading skills are no longer skills...