Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Burns basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by devain21to7, Jun 28, 2004.

1. devain21to7

devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    sippi
    I stumbled upon the Burns website and looked at the basses which i found quite cool looking, so i wanna know, do they play well, can I trust these brit basses?

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I saw ex stranglers front man hugh cornwell's bassist using one.

OMG it was a tone monster he playered the crap out of it, it was the first time I ever saw a broken bass string. But he sounded amazing with both a pick and fingers. No idea about the slap tone.

Andy Bell bassist for oasis used to use them as well. So you should check him out as well.

Hope this helps

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've played one at a local dealer (Audio Images in SF)... pretty interesting, actually. It was a 3-pickup model, and had a wide range of tones. Don't know how it would fare in a live context, since I just played it in a showroom... but it has a cool vibe. Different instrument, which can be cool in and of itself.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The Burns today are being made in Korea not England, the early burns i have heard compared to a Fender on Steriods. I have played the newwer import bass and it is pretty decent for the money, they have some nice finish's also.

5. Okay, earlier this year I was in a band sponsored by Burns. The three pickup model is the Bison, which I mostly played during demos and in a few gigs .

Pros:
    It has a lot of different tones, with a five-position switch like a Strat. There is also an in-out phase switch, which added to the tone pallette. All the models are passive. The Bison I played had a very smooth neck and was set-up from the factory with low action. Reasonable price. I think in the $600-800 range.

Cons:
    Big neck-dive.
    Body a bit larger than "traditional" basses
    No five-strings offered

I recommend trying one of the models out before you buy.

6. devain21to7

devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    sippi
    How is the Marquee model on size?