Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Burns Marquee Bass V Godin SD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ushtey, Oct 9, 2000.

1. Ushtey

Ushtey

Mar 21, 2000
    UK
    Hi there , I have narrowed down the choice of a new bass to these two which both cost the same (STG£399) . I have not had a chance to play either yet - which is probably what I will base my final decision on I guess. But in the meantime - What do you think ?

Cheers

2. I don't know the Burns, but the Godin SD is a very good bass. I suppose my only big surprise is the price. In Canada, where the Godins are made, we pay about $585 CDN which converts to about £269. I do understand that in your case, there are additional duties, taxes and import costs involved by the time it gets to your store. But I suppose us North Americans have seen by now that our UK friends seem to pay much higher prices for the same instruments. I'm also assuming you are talking about the standard SD which is passive and not the SD Pro which has the active Seymore Duncan pickups - those sell for about $850 CDN (which is about £399).

Anyway, all things being relative, the Godin is a really well made instrument with very classic tones, yet is presented with a fresh new look. I always recommend them to anyone considering a Fender type bass in that price range. They are certainly the best value out there for a bass (or guitar) and many of their models would be a fine choice for any player regardless of price. If you check out the Godin/Seagull websites http://www.lasido.com you'll notice lots of great artists who play those instruments by choice without any endorsement deals.