Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Burns Marquee

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzin', Sep 3, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

How are these basses? Personally, I already hate the way it looks. But my friend wants to buy one as his first bass (first that he will own). What is the build quality, price range, tonal quality, tonal versitility of this bass?

2. Jazzin'

3. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Ive got a thing about burns guitars so i might be able to help you a bit...

Ive played the Bison bass (a little bit pricier then the marquee) it's got a huge neck, it's not the usual fender scale so at first it seems uncomfortable...all i can really say is that it's REALLY thin sounding...it has the same pickup's as the marquee so i would assume the sounds not far off but the marquee has a standard kneck...

As we're on the subject, theyre electric guitars are amazing for the price far better then a mexican fender....

Theyre all very solid and well built, basses and guitars. Made in Korea as far as i know...

And i love the way they look, the styling is out there true...but i love ricks too.

The Marquee is priced at the higher end of £300, the bison is about £400.

4. Jazzin'

Oh. Do you mean thin as in opposite of fat? And large neck as in wide or long? Because I thought that it's a 32" scale bass.

5. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Yes, i guess i did mean that.

The neck scale is 33½ inches on the bison, and 32 on the marquee. The neck is probably between a P and a J so far as width is concerned.

I brought up the bison because according to people ive spoken too it's a better bass than the Marquee. But then again ive played the bison and thought it was pretty average - and theres certainly no slap in the thing!

If your mates buying online another thing the photo's dont show you is the UGLY faded in red stripe on the back of the neck - looks really cheap and poorly done. It's on the bison and the guitars so i can only assume it's on the Marquee aswell.

As i said before theyre solid and well built - but they're basses just haven't really got the sound to back up the looks, very weak pickups. Although if he likes it enough i guess he could deal with that with a pedal etc etc.

But just to hit it home for anyone else reading - their electric guitars are amazing! Buy one!...as for the basses, other then for looks i wouldn't.

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    My Marquee has a trad Fender-esque natural brown timber shunk stripe on the rear of the neck. Otherwise the neck is one piece maple with a rosewood board and a clear finish.

I've commented on it previously here.
    Don't take a lack of raving over it as particularly negative, it's a good bass and I like it but it's in some excellent compay in my collection and just doesn't get as much time as it could. For what I paid for it, I couldn't have bought anything better new, especially as I like the 32" scale.