Burp sucking bass amps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pickles, Jan 23, 2006.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My rig frustration continues, but I'm getting much closer, and I think I have a better way to describe what I don't like about it now ... hoping y'all can help.

I really like a bass sound with a smooth, full midrange ... the frequencies that give the P bass its meat, the J bass its "burp", and the stingray its low growl. I plug my hamer cruise with DR high beams into my cafe walter, and it burps like crazy strait out of the gate. You can really hear the way your finger interacts with the string. Take that same bass and plug it into my live rig ... and the burp is gone, and it makes the strings seem stiffer. I'm left with big bass and an overly bright top end. Its OK, but not what I'm looking for. Actually, it worked great with my Modulus Q5 (which sounded too middy through the cafe walter or an SWR rig), but not with the basses I have now. Its scooping me too much, and I don't want to have to use EQ to add back mids that are being sucked by the basic voicing of the components.

What would you guys reccomend for an amp with a true, smooth, fat mid response for use with Fender style basses?

Items at my disposal:

Ampeg SVP-Pro
    Demeter 201S
    Eden WT-1000
    Crest CA-9
    Eden D-210XLT
    Eden D-115XLT
    Aguilar GS410
    Bergantino HT115

Items I'm really interested in trying:

Bergantino HT210 to go with the 115
    SWR Henry the 8x8 (played one in a club once and it was killer -- great mids)
    Accugrooves or Acmes.
    Sealed cabs: ampegs or bergantinos.

Most of my testing had been done with a PLX amp that I've decided I really didn't like (so I need to try certain things again), and I have not been able to try the Demeter pre yet, just been using the ampeg. I think going to the Demeter with a better power amp might help a lot, but I'm open to other ideas. The best config I've had going so far is the two eden cabs (with the 210 on its side on top), the ampeg, and the WT1000. The FAT sounding CA9 with just the GS410 seems like it might be really good too. What say you?
  2. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Tom's comment from his blog on the Accugroove Tri210L really has me thinkin ...

3. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    What basses are you playing? Maybe its just me, but the bass is what gives the gone,,, the amps/cabs should just amplify that series of tones.
  4. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I have a bunch of nice basses (MTD, lakland, hamer, fender), and I like the sound of all of them on my very Hi Fi headphone amp. I think the Ampeg pre (with it's ultra lo switch) is sucking out the mids on me. The amp is subtracting sound before it amplifies it.

My first step is going to be to convert over to the demeter with the rest of my edens and see how things go ...
  5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've also been wanting to try out some ashdown gear ... might be time for a mission to LA.
  6. BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    Hi Pickles,

BassLand here, fresh from the NAMM show and I noticed that EA (Euphonic Audio) was not in your group of amps listed for consideration (at least I did not see the name). I urge you to try them. I have used (and been endorsed by) EA since 1999 and I cnanot say enough for their stuff. My reason for going EA was two fold. The weight/size and the sound. I have the CVL-110 combo with 1-10, 1-5, and a horn tweeter. I came from the SWR SM-400 (which I still have) and Energy Group (1810) and it soudned great but it was a BIG RIG... I decided that the roadies were in fact not coming to carry my gear and I was getting tired of carrying a large amp setup by myself. Sometimes the drummer was leaving me still striking my stuff after the gig. I (like yourself) use top quality basses and have gotten spoiled by having a good (if large) rig. I have not even seriously looked at other amps since I had the EA. Check them out.

BTW I live in LA and would be more than happy to hook up if you do venture down (up or out depending on where you are) here.
  7. Sounds to me it's an EQ/technique issue. There's no reason that you shouldn't be able to get that mid punch through virtually any amp with a decent bass.

However... focusing on gear...

More burp...

Eden (amps and cabs)

Less burp (still good but less 'chest thumping lower mids IMO)..

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I actually used to have an EA VL110 ... and it was a cool little cab indeed. Way underpowered for the gigs I usually end up with ... but I'll have to demo some of their larger cabs.
  9. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You are probably right, but I've messed with the EQ on the ampeg quite a bit and can't seem to get it to the point where I've got the burp but no honk or mud. I feel like I'm fighting the natural EQ shape of my rig. I'd like to have something that had strong and warm mids when set flat, so I can use the EQ to adjust for rooms ...

10. +1 I totally understand. I am not a fan of the newer Ampeg amps, and if you have to use that low frequency boost switch, you are probably dead.

If you are really looking for that low mid, totally articulate, punchy fingerstyle thing, the Schroeder 1210 (or 410 if you need stupid loud) does it in spades, and is loud as heck with a good 500 watt or so SS or hybrid head like the TF550 or Eden WT550.... Rocco Presita all the way without the eight 10's!
  11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yea ... the "ultra lo" ... can't live with it can't live without it on that pre.

Thanks for the reccomendation ... I'll see if I can track one down.