Burst speaker!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Microbass, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Hey people, ok, today I just got my new cabs. :)

I had a good look at the as they were second hand. Tried them, sounded fine. Well now they sound even better, but however, one of them, the grill was vibrating so that is off. I noticed that there was still an ugly noise coming from it on certain notes. Taking a closer look I see that the speaker paper/fabric is burst!:eek: :(

I am just wondering what would be a suitable price to get this re-papered:p , IF that is possible.

Thanks for your time. :)

{edit} One more thing, these have horns. It's a Laney 1x15 I THINK. MIght be 17 or 18. How do you turn off the horns?
  2. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    What you're asking about is called a "recone".
    Price depends on the size and make of the speaker and whether or not you want an OEM replacement or an aftermarket kit such as Whaldom.

Regardless, it's the cheapest way out.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Depends on the speaker brand/model and the reconing cost.
    It could be cheaper to just replace the speaker.
  4. No.. Not for me it won't be :)

Thanks anyway. :)
  5. Found the Model number!! it's a TE200. Please try and give me a suitable price, pwease? :)
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    In the US, a recone runs $50-100.
  7. Ok cool thanks for that. Could someone explain to me how to turn off horns?
  8. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    I blew a 15" cone in my old Peavey TNT. It was torn about an 1/8 around the cone. I wasn't about to re-cone it. Soooo I fixed it with silicone sealer. It works great now. That was over 2 years ago and it still sounds good. The silicone does not get stiff and brittle or shrink when it dries so try it before you recone, it might save you a bunch.
  9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I was just going to suggest something similar.

Great minds think alike, eh?
  10. I've put tape on it for just not. Sounds fine. No farts, except my dad.. :p