Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Burt Bacharach

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Whilst shopping at the vinyl store the other day, I found three Bacharach albums for a buck apiece..."Reach Out", "Take it Easy on Yourself", and the "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" soundtrack. I listened to 'em and I'm really impressed. I didn't realize that he wrote so many great songs in his career, and even his lesser known instrumental songs are great. Any comments or opinions on Bacharach's music would be great. :)

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Burt is great. My wife thinks I'm daft, but he wrote terrific songs. Very velvety, but moving. Very good songs for style analysis, composition. We are better for having those songs.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

For me, "The Look of Love" remains one of the best romantic songs of my generation (I'm 59.) Bacharach's music lends itself to many kinds of arrangements. It is also what I call mood music.

One problem it has suffered is what I call "elevator music syndrome" in that many of his best known songs have been played in the overly sacharine elevator style by various artists who choose that route. One such song is "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?"

That is too bad, because he has a large body of work with merit, like a 60s- and 70s- styleCole Porter. Well, I have heard elevator versions of Porter's work, too.

But there is no question that Bacharach has been a prolific song writer and much of his music has been a soundtrack for our times.

4. I just like the blend of pop sensibilities, jazz, and light bossa. It makes such a cool sound that seperates it from most pop of the time.

Does anyone have an opinion on the albums he did with another favorite of mine, Elvis Costello?

5. Aha! May I say Bassline1414 that you truly are a man of culture. :)

Burt Bacharach to me, was and still is a musical genius as far as being a composer/arranger. I have a few of his albums at home, but, I don't remember the titles right now. Most of the stuff he wrote was so smooth and easy on the ears, which I think is one of the hardest things to do when writing music.

The Bacharach/Costello collaboration was a surprise, but, not a shock. I always felt Elvis C. had a mellow side to him.

Boplicity, I couldn't agree with you more about "The look of love". They just DO NOT write songs like that anymore, and it is timeless; Diana Krall recently recorded it on her album of the same name. This type of music was on in my house all the time when I was growing up, and I'd bet this is the main reason that I became interested in Jazz at an early age.

If you like Burt B., then you'd also probably like another songwriter of the same period, Jimmy Webb. This guy kept writting hit after hit, though his lyrics were a little more blue collar.
    http://popentertainment.com/webb.htm

And let us not forget Michel Legrand and the widmills of his mind. :) www.ascap.com/filmtv/Legrand.html

I'll post more if I can think of it.

I'm not sure, but, this may be my first post in "Recordings." I have to check this place out more often.

Mike J.

6. How could I forget?

Sergio Mendes!

Probably my favourite composer/arranger/musician of all time.

Mike J.

7. Man, you guys brought me back talking about all this stuff from yesteryear. I thought I'd let anyone that has never heard or read the lyrics to the song, "The Windmills of your mind," check them out here. I must say this again: They really don't write poetry/lyrics like this anymore. Read these words and let them ferment overnight. They will make you think. :)

The Windmills of Your Mind

From the soundtrack to:
    "The Thomas Crown Affair"

Round, like a circle in a spiral,
    like a wheel within a wheel
    Never ending or beginning
    on an ever spinning reel,
    Like a snowball down a mountain
    or a carnival balloon,
    Like a carousel that's turning
    running rings around the moon,
    Like a clock whose hands are sweeping
    past the minutes of its face,
    And the world is like an apple
    whirling silently in space,
    Like the circles that you find
    In the windmills of your mind.

Like a tunnel that you follow to a
    tunnel of its own
    Down a hollow to a cavern where
    the sun has never shone,
    Like a door that keeps revolving in
    a half-forgotten dream,
    Or the ripples from a pebble
    someone tosses in a stream.
    Like a clock whose hands are sweeping
    past the minutes of its face,
    And the world is like an apple
    whirling silently in space,

Keys that jingle in your pocket,
    words that jangle in your head,
    Why did summer go so quickly?
    Was it something that you said?
    Lovers walk along the shore and
    leave their foorprints in the sand,
    Is the sound of distant drumming
    just the fingers of your hand?
    Pictures hanging in a hallway and
    the fragment of a song,
    Half-remembered names and faces
    but to whom do they belong?
    When you knew that it was over
    you were suddenly aware,
    That the autumn leaves were turning
    to the color of her hair.*

Like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel
    within a wheel,
    Never ending or beginning on an
    ever-spinning reel,
    As the images unwind,

Lyrics: Allen and Marilyn Bergman
    Music: Michel Legrand

Something, huh?

Mike J.
    * Try not to break up with a girl in the fall, whose hair is the color of chestnuts and then listen to these words. :(

8. Ha, why do you say that? ;)

Couldn't agree more...I also like the fact that his music can't really be considered easy listening even though it's very pleasing, just because he was so experimental with melodies and time signatures.

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Sergio Mendes is also one of my favorites. I had the great privilege to see his band perform live in Manila. It was such a thrill to hear the music in person that I had listened to so many times in the past. What was odd is that when I lived in Brazil, I seldom heard anyone speak of him. I had to be in Manila to see him. But it was well worth the wait.