burton vs. newstead

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ahpook, Sep 13, 2002.

1. ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    soooooooo...everyone says that burton is the naz, but surely mr. newstead has his moments ?

no ?
  2. biting_nails

biting_nails Guest

Sep 10, 2002
    queensland, australia
    he has his moments. my friend of misery and enter sandman rock.

im new here my the way, this is my first post
  3. Yes, Newstead was a very talented bassist, he was heavy, very tight with Lars, and he made some excellent basslines.

However, just listen to "The Call of Ktulu", "Leper Messiah", "Fade to Black", "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "Master of Puppets", or the most compelling and innovative rock instrumental _ever_; "Anestheisa", and you cannot deny that Cliff was Jason's superior, and one of the finest bassists to have ever lived.
  4. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    you also have to wonder how much input newstead really had in his bass parts. He plays the Instrument but did he get to play what he really wanted? I think sometimes that he was forced to play certain parts in songs by James Hetfeld(more than likely)..

The parts that Jason played in the songs did still fit and its kinda hard to imagine another style of bass playing in the songs that newstead participated in.
  5. IMHO, I don't know of too many rock bassists before or after that can play with the technique, imagination, creativity, aggression, and emotion of Burton. I'm not trying to knock anyone else, but I feel like Burton was in his own league. It would have been nice to see how he would have evolved and what direction he would have gone towards. Do you think he'd still be in Metallica, or Metallica would sound the way they do today if Cliff were still around? I guess we'll never know. Burton could play some brutal, yet melodic ****. He's the one that really made me open my ears and listen to the bass. He instilled a sense of mystery about the bass that compelled me to go to the music store and buy a bass. Listening to "Anaesthesia" as a kid was like, "Wow, that's what a f***ing bass solo sounds like!"

OK, I'll stop rambling now. I'm a little bit buzzed!:D
  6. Very well put-one note though, hehe, when I was younger, I listened to Anaesthesia and said "Sweet guitar man!" :D
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I agree with QTraXQ, for some reason, I just have trouble believeing that Jason wrote a lot of the basslines he played. On top of that, he got buried in the mix, which really sucks.

Cliff is cool. I love Anesthisia and he had stop on a dime timing. But I feel he is overrated in a sea of metal bassist that wipe the fretboard with him. (i.e. Sean Malone, Tony Choy, Steve Digiorgio, Roger Patterson, Pete Perez ect.)
  8. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    Cliff hands down. R.I.P.
  9. I think there both good bassits but if i had to choose it would be burton (R.I.P.)

10. He sure did love that Aria eh? Dunno why, I've played em, and I'll pass on those.:)
  11. Chip

May 2, 2000
    cliff is my favorite, he was my first real inpiration that helped me ALOT, i learned alot from him which enabled me to progress much faster

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Jason was a MAJOR influence to me when i see the power and love for playing he has it makes me want to rock. I have to agree Jason i dont think was allowed to really play the way he wanted to play. On Justice you cant even here him and on most of black he is just repeating lines on an open E string. Some of Jason"s best moments were on S&M he tottaly showed his stuff watch or listen to katulu or outlaw torn he really new how to use those sadowsky's. Cliff was a cool dude and listened to allot of classical which helped his bass playing and i connect to his molodic way off playing but at times i feel he is not very present in some songs like ride the lightining they are both very good players but METALLICA would have been alot better if Jason had a bigger part MELODIC METAL:cool:
  13. Nice post, but please use punctuation-that is one hell of a runon.
  14. Chip

May 2, 2000
    come on, we are musicians, not inglishers :p
  15. we do have to read it though and when you talk like this and never use periods it gets really really really painful to read:D
  16. I think that Jason doesn't get the respect he deserves because he came behind Burton. Jason has a far different style then Burton did, besides the fact that he plays with a pick. Jason's style is much more of a thumpy bass, while burton when for the growling distorted bass.
    Now clearly on "..And Justice for all" and the Black album, Jason had little say on what he was going to play. On load and reload though he had more say. But he gets alot of flak because he didn't play the speed metal stuff that Metallica was famous for. His stuff on load and reload is very heavy.

Jason and Cliff are both excellent bassists. I think it's unfair to compare them because their styles are far different. I think we should just appreciate them and the music they have created.
  17. I dont like comparing Burton to Newstead.. its like comparing apples and oranges. Burton was innovative and had a lot of freedom in Metallica. I agree with the above statement of "just how much input did Jason get". This was a common beef Jason had with the band, why do you think he wanted side projects?

But they are different bass players. The way they played sounded completely different IMO. I think Jason is a great bassist. I think Cliff is a great bassist too.

I think Lars needs to get another time signature apart from 4/4 :p

18. they use to play in other time signatures before the black album. for e.g. the melow part of 'One' was in 3/4.

I agree with the other posts, about Jason having no freedom, and Cliff being more creative. you have to remember, Jason was "hired" to play, so I guess they used that to control what he was playing. Cliff told them if they wanted him to join the band they had to move to San Fransico. They moved, so that kind of tells you about the respect they had for Cliffs playing.

Jason shows in the S&M version of 'Call of Kutlu' that he can shred too if allowed.