1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Business cards on the cheap? Any sources or ideas?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Thor, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I really need to get some business cards for myself as a
    bassist to pass out when I hit the open mikes and network
    with other musicians.

All the basic contact info plus maybe an avatar of some sort.
    Couple of colors would be nice.

My printer won't handle cards that small.

Anyone have a cheap solution that won't cost me 40 or 50 bucks
    for 500-1000 cards?

2. You can buy A4 (or US letter) sized paper that have business card templates already on them, perforated for ease of cutting after printing. You simply download the relevant template for Word from the paper manufacturers website if it's not supplied on CD, open up the template and input your details, and press print. Simple. You'll get roughly 10 business cards per A4 sheet, so 10 sheets will give you one hundred cards.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Vista print will probably be the cheapest. You can pay a few bucks extra and not have "Vistaprint" printed on the back of the card.

4. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Yep!
    They ain't expensive and you don't end up with 1000 business cards. I think most printers can handle them. I use Avery 8371. Any office supply store has them.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I used Kinkos.

I designed the card in i think Word-printed to a PDF and took my jump drive with me. I paid right about $30 for 500 and had them in less than 24hrs.

6. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I use VistaPrint. It's worth the $10 for shipping. Once you factor in the cost of special perforated paper and printer ink to do it yourself, VistaPrint is a pretty good value.

7. +1 for Vistaprint. I'm sure that there are other companies doing the same thing.

I avoid doing my own cards at home because I can't get it looking "professional" enough. To me, it's important that all promotional material (and your business card IS promotional material) should be of a high standard, and home-made business cards (and posters, etc.) just scream "couldn't be bothered"

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

+1 for Vistaprint.com $4.99 shipping for 250 free cards. I get a new set once a year.

9. Thor

I noticed that Vistaprint charges a one time fee for an image upload. I couldn't find the fee, any idea what it is?

So I am looking at:

Bringing an image to Kinko's, $30/500ct, professional image.

DIY Staples/ Avery 8371 @ 16.99 per 100 + ink costs.

Vistaprint at 10 bucks shipping + upgrades for personal image
    or layout.

Ok, that's a good start. Thanks!

10. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Kinko's business cards are sub par......

11. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    Design layout using word (free)
    Cardstock (couple of bucks)
    Girlfriend who will run the cards off on the office copier after work for free (priceless)

12. I use gotprint.net. Very quick service, and the cards look outstanding. Vendors like gotprint and vistaprint are, in my opinion, just too inexpensive to consider doing homemade cards. For less than a $20 (tax deductible!) expense you've got a big stack of professionally prepared business cards.

13. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Can you handle throwing something together in something like Word and then making a PDF out of it? I am a pro graphic designer and I use a place called psprint.com to print my cards. The quality is excellent and its very inexpensive. I of course lay it out myself though.

14. I have a 25% off coupon{free upload too} from a big order I made on Vistaprint..if interested drop me a pm and ill give you the code

15. So do I. I also use them for postcard sized flyers. And I recommend them to almost anybody. Also helps that I can pick up my stuff locally. :)

16. Thor

I can do a slide in Powerpoint. I don't have the capability at home to save to .pdf though. That is Office 97 there at home.

There is a lady in marketing that has some graphic design stuff
    like Image Ready on her computer, she might do something on
    the side for me if I ask nicely. :smug:

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, just use Vistaprint a couple times and you start getting e-mails for free upgrades, coupons for x% off, etc. I like them.

18. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    +1 Vista print

19. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Don't do the perforated cards for your printer. The fuzzy edges are kind of tacky. I'm down with DIY and you can actually print your own on regular paper and cut them on a paper cutter.