Business model failure....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Sep 28, 2002.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

The guys at Atlanta Discount were talking about this when I wandered into the shop today. One was telling the story about when the President and owner came into his store the day they opened a MARS down the street from them--he was talking about how he felt "real bad" that he was going to take all of the business away from everyone in the area and going to put them out of business...

I won't be losing any sleep....
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I suspected that was going to happen because the Mars Music near me used to have a fabulous selection of books for bass guitar, but in the past year, it was as if they were not restocking any of their music books.

Actually I feel sorry the concept didn't work, because I liked the idea of a music "supermarket." I feel the bad economy was at least partly to blame for the chain's failure. Buying music equipment and music accessories such as books, sheet music, sound gear, cables, tuners, etc. are luxuries only pros and very serious students can afford when the economy is so bad.
  3. Yeah, my Mars has always sucked. All the good basses were 30 feet high.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sheesh do you play one of those?!! I thought Dingwall's had a hell of a scale length!

Hey, somebody had to say it. :p

brad cook
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'll have to keep an eye out to see if either Houston locations go out of business. Could be a chance to pick up some discounted stuff!

brad cook
  6. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    Shows how well they did if I've never even seen one of their stores. :rolleyes:
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

An analyst for the industry said Mars catered to beginners and that budding musicians just don't spend much on gear. He said veteran musicians are where the money is and Guitar Center and the mom & pop stores get them instead of Mars.

This analyst used to be a bass player and said Mars always turned him off because the sales staff looked and acted like they were straight out of Office Depot, (the head of Mars used to be prez of Office Depot).

I noticed the "Mars Auctions" site is closed.

But they did swing a $60 million loan to deal with creditors and get its finances in order under Chapter 11.

So, I guess the larger stores get first pick over the Mars inventory when the time comes.