Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Busking Songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by punk guy, May 6, 2001.

1. Hello everyone,

I'm saving up money for a new bass (hopefully a Musicman) and someone suggested that I go busking and said that they usually get $40 just for a few hours of playing! So I've been learnig chords on an acoustic guitar and have gotten pretty good at them. So my question is:

What are the best songs for busking?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcomt to Talkbass, punk. There are several other Australians here.

Help the USA delegation out - what is "busking"?

Is it like playing "copies" of popular songs? We call them "covers."

3. Hey Rickbass

Busking is playing on the street with your case open (or hat) hoping someone will like your playing and drop some money into it :)

Punk guy

Depending on where you plan to busk will help you decide what to play. Remember if you play stuff that a lot of people know you'll have a better chance of making some money than by playing obscure stuff that you like. A good place to start would be some old Beatles, Stones, and stuff like that (IMO).

Good luck

Dean

4. thanks deanobg, i'll check out some of the beatles stuff.

5. rickbass

Dean - Thanks for the lesson in Australian.

Playing on the street with your case open....that sounds like a typical venue for aspiring ELECTRIC bassists :confused: :confused: :confused:

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    IM AN AUSSIE IM AN AUSSIE!
    umm if ya want to know anything thats is in the slightest australian ask me and i will be only happy to tell you
    this is so corny
    THANKS!
    CYA

7. Hey Rick

No worries mate - I'm actually South African born, New Zealand raised and have spent 4 years in London before moving to sunny Perth - so you could say I'm multilingual :)

Punk Guy is planning to busk with an acoustic g###tar so he should be ok :)

Cheers

Dean

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Punk guy - my guitarist started busking almost full time a couple of months ago. I think he's got it down to a science and I'm sure he wouldn't mind discussing it with you (he's not on talkbass though), uh.... he's a guitarist. If you want you can email him at thenerve0401@aol.com and just tell him Joe told you about him. His name is Randy.

9. rickbass

Shoot, Dean, why don't you drop in on the thread I started, "Can I Go Out?", and see if you have anything to add? It's an international topic and only Yanks have posted. Your worldliness would be welcome.

10. wow that sounds like a good idea
    i never wanted a real job anyway
    well im off to go busking...

11. busking isnt an australian thing!! i've been planning to go buscking with my friends as soon as i get an acoustic! thats why i want one so bad!

12. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    my guitarist and i go busking down acland street in st. kilda all the time .. i just grab his acoustic Washburn bass and he takes his Ibanez acoustic guitar and we sit there playing the guitar and bass lines from a whole heap of songs ... it's not just good for the money (people love hearing "My Friends"), but i find it helps us understand each other's playing a whole lot better. get busking, man ... just make sure you've got a license for it, tho !! :D we got pulled up by the coppers once 'coz we were ignorant of this rule ...