Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bussetto and violin corners on one bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Brian K, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    In an older thread, it was mentioned that someone had never seen a bass with bussetto bottom corners and violin top corners, other than my Pollmann. I'm wondering how rare this is. Anyone know of other basses like that?

bk

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I believe that Arnold has a 4/4 JB Allen that has violin corners on the Upper Bout(although I am not sure if they are true) with Busetto Corners.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The Allen Bass has Bussetto on the upper bout as well. The Construction seems a bit different but I'm sure Arnold can explain.

I owned the Kolstein Solo/Orchestra Bass #2 (I think) for a short period. Violin Corner Top/Bussetto Bottom. I believe that Poellmann/Krahmer made these in Germany and Kolstein finished them in NY. It was one of the prettiest Basses I had ever seen. It's in his Archives now.

I have never seen this anywhere else before. I have seen Italian Basses with Violin/Gamba Corners mixed. Kolstein has one and I saw another on a German 'site as well.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Sounds yummy.. I've seen busettos and violin corcers, but I haven't actually seen both as described. Do you have a picture of your Pollman Brian?

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    It was PW that remarkes on that though i cannot remember the bass.

6. Yeah, it was...but I can't remember either. Any younger person who remembers?

7. Brian K

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
  8. Brian K

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
  9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
  10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Thanks Brian :) that is a gorgeous bass!

11. Brian K

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Speaking of pretty, you should see the crack that opened up on it today. I guess that's what happens when a bass spends it whole life in California, then comes to Toronto in time for winter.

12. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Off to Heinls.....;)

13. spdrswb

spdrswb

May 26, 2005
    Wow, Double bussetto? Can I see such picture anywhere on the web? Thanks in advance.