1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Busted Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 6810, Feb 22, 2008.

1. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    Ok, so I bought a Schecter Stilleto Studio 5 used a month ago.

Just recently, it started distorting really bad. At first I thought it was the amp, maybe I busted the speaker (I've done it before). But I tried another bass and everything was fine.

I searched through talkbass and figured it could be to do with the battery going dead. Bought a new battery, whacked it in and... it worked fine (with more hiss than I remember) and then after 30 seconds went back to flatulent like clipp-y distortion.

Is my bass busted? Do I need to have it repaired? Any help?

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The battery would have been my first guess. Bad cable? Did you try another? If you aren't able to rewire it yourself you may have a hard time tracking down the cause and may need pro assistance.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I would have thought it was a duff battery causing you problems. Maybe it's time to take it to a pro!

4. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    Yeah, tried a different cable too. Looks like it's off to the repair shop... at least it's just down the road...:crying:

5. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Bad battery connector maybe?

6. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    You have a short in the circuit or a dead preamp I'd wager. Your guitar tech should be able to fix the short, but the preamp will require a new one.