1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Busted by the TSA

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gaius46, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    So returning home from vacation on Monday the TSA busted me for having a tube of toothpaste in my carry on luggage. This particular tube has been with me on 7 flights in the last year and hasn't been a problem - or maybe it was a problem but just wasn't detected. Honestly I didn't even know toothpaste is a banned item since the TSA prohibited items page doesn't list toothpaste as near as I can tell and pastes aren't really liquids or gels - though it seems the TSA thinks otherwise.

Interesting thing is all the screener did was toss it in the trash and send me on my way. Kind of a strange way to dispose
    of a potentially explosive compound - they do believe it might be explosive or they wouldn't confiscate it right? - and to treat a potential terrorist - I can get myself another explosive toothpaste and just try again the next day.

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Should they have the bomb squad detonate every tube of toothpaste or personal lubricant confiscated? That seems impractical to me.

3. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I've seen a team of trained professionals detonate a tube of KY Jelly, it's definitely a sight to behold.

Of course, they were a team of professional pron starlets...

4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    It was your burka that tipped them off.

5. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    Then why bother to take it? If they're going to ban an item and confiscate it if you try to bring it onboard they must assume it's dangerous until proven otherwise. They also must assume the possessor is potentially a terrorist and hold him. To do otherwise is grossly incompetent.

Either that or it's pretty conclusive proof that the TSA really doesn't think your toothpaste is dangerous and is just busting everyone's stones to make it look like they're doing something useful.

Actually it's a toga not a burqa :)

6. It is a volume issue. There is a limit as to the volume of "liquids" you can carry, no matter what the liquid is. You can thank that college kid that was sneaking prohibited liquids by changing the bottles, then bragging about how stupid TSA was.

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This sounds like a job for Fat Perry and his spelunking gerbil Lemmiewinks.

8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Actually, that wasn't a trash can. That was the "Free Items for TSA Employees To Take Home" bin. Their families haven't had to buy toothpaste, mouthwash, cologne, etc. for years... ;)

9. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

The problem probably wasn't that it was toothpaste, but that it was a tube of toothpaste that was more than 3.0 oz in the new package and that it may not have been in the 1 quart clear plastic baggie. I travel all the time for work and the only time I've had a problem with toothpaste were when the package was more than 3.0 oz.

10. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Yes. Every single time.

11. Well, at least you can still go to the newsstand and get some breath mints to hold you over. While you're there, why not pick up a metal nail file so you can give yourself a manicure while waiting for your flight? :meh:

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    HOW DARE YOU ACCOST THE FELLOW PASSENGERS WITH YOUR MINTY FRESHNESS!

Some people just don't want their tartar under control, Jack.

13. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Because 3 oz of combustible liquid is significantly more dangerous when one is traveling at 600mph, 10,000 feet in the air, in a pressurized cabin than it is on the ground, in an atrium. Also, they are not assuming that these items are dangerous, just that they have the potential to be dangerous.

There's also a good bit of this.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    They were really cool and easy-going about the hunting knife they found in my backpack at DFW. :scowl:

bc