1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Busted Hazarai knob - how difficult a repair?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RCCollins, Sep 22, 2008.

1. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Something must have fallen on my Stereo memory man. The white "hazarai" knob's potentiometer got hit and bent, and now the push-pusll functionality doesn't work.

It's still possible to change from one mode to another, but without the memorized settings, this thing got a lot less useful.

I opened up the back and the circuit board covers everything, so it would have to be removed in order to replace the potentiometer.

My question is, how risky a fix is this? I am NOT good with a soldering gun and would have to invest in a real one. Am I risking destruction of the circuit board if I remove and replace it in order to get the new potentiometer in?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Depends on how the board is attached/held in to the housing. Some boards are easy to remove, others are damn near impossible, seriously.

Here's what I'd do: If there are obvious screws to remove, remove them. If the board does not lift out easily, then see if you can figure out what's holding it in place. If you can't easily figure it out, or if you try to get it undone with no luck, then that's when a smart non-technician will give up and hand it over to a pro. :)

3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Thanks - taking this to a local tech soon!