Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Busted nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mind Eroded, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    ok so..i bought a carlo robelli 4 string a few years back as my frist bass from the wonderful commision hounds at sam ash. it was my first bass so i really had no idea what i was doing. Recently the nut of the bass cracked off at the low E slot as it was made of cheap korean plastic. I went to sam ash and they gave me the usual "well we cant do anything your warranty is expired" speech and offered no help at all. i then went to a small music store and the owner said that carlo robelli doesnt supply replacement parts and if i wanted to fix it i would have to get a custom mold which would run about 50-75 bucks..roughly 25% of the bass's original value. I dont know what to do with this hunk of wood now..anyone have some suggestions that wouldent cost alot of money to fix the problem? :confused:

P.S. on a lighter note i recently bought an MIM fender jazz w/natural swamp ash finish and couldent be happier with it but a functional back up bass wouldent hurt either :meh:

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The small store is trying to hose you - all nuts need to be cut to size. This is a cheap job - keep looking, or do it yourself.

Moving this to Setup...

3. Mind Eroded

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    did you really have to change the name of the thread and change the location of it because of a technicality?

MOD EDIT: Yes, that's why this site is still here - proper management and oversight. You should be grateful that you can ask a question like this and get a decent answer. For that, you can thank Paul (Site Admin.) and a Moderator

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Don't do it yourself, but it shouldn't cost more than $15 for a pro-cut. Nuts come in blanks that you file down the slots for. Talk to the manager about how these jerks are trying to screw with you, and then take your business elsewhere.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You don't much like it here, do you?

6. Mind Eroded

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    no actually i find this site quite helpful.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Mind Eroded, clearly you should stop while you're behind. If the more colloquial term for **** isn't appropriate language, than neither is pissed. Hell, it's beyond me why it's not even being censored in posts. Beyond that, it wasn't moved on a "technicality", this is, in fact, a setup issue.

8. Mind Eroded

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    yeah i guess your right..but the real question you should ask is who needs bass anyway..the tamborine is where its REALLY at.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  10. Superglue the cracked-off piece back on at the break for the time being, and get a replacement.

That stuff is cheap, small potatoes.

11. Say heck with the nut then. Save your $15-20 and look for a tamborine and go play it in a busy street.

:bag: :ninja:

12. Mind Eroded

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY

good idea, i live in nyc so theres plenty of room in the subway/streets to rock out :bassist:

13. Actually, that might not be a bad idea. If you get good enough, maybe people will give you money.

14. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Believe it or not, I was at GC tonight and they had a bin of cheap plastic nuts for 99 cents! Of course none of them were the size I was looking for. But at that price it's definitely worth a shot.

Just be sure to take measurements of your existing nut, because none of them were marked or labeled in any way. And bring your own ruler...